Time to upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a need for more storage, around the house, about 7 years ago. After doing some searching on the Internet I had determined that a NAS was the solution for me. I started looking for NASs that I could buy, but didn't like the prices I was seeing. One day I just so happened to do a search for "a free NAS" and guess what popped up? The rest, as they say, is history.

I installed FreeNAS 0.7 and started into a different world of computing that I had no idea existed. I've since made a pfSense router, a second FreeNAS to backup the main server, and a FreeNAS server at my companies office. My first machine was a repurposed Gateway full tower case with an Intel 1GHz chip, 384Mb RAM, and about 6 different hard drives I had laying around. After about a year of playing/learning with that machine I found a good deal on a used computer at a state government surplus sell. That machine was a welcomed upgrade. Intel 3.0GHz with Hyperthreading and 1Gb RAM. I've used this computer for the past 6 years adding a 1TB WD Black and 2TB WD Green hard drive to it. I been out of space for awhile and have been debating on what to do. Should I just buy a new bigger hard drive or biuld a new server. Before I had time to kick the idea around much I had a hard drive crash. Opened case to also find some bulging capacitors. Two capacitors where starting to corrode too. The power supply fan was also making a bunch of noise.

I've decided to build a new proper server. That is why I'm here now. To learn the changes in FreeNAS over the years and get some advise on the new system. I'm putting together a parts list now. I was a member of the old FreeNAS 0.7 forum years ago, but stopped visiting sometime ago. Matter a fact I'm still running 0.7 on three machines.

I'm looking forward to jumping back into things. Now understand, I'm no computer guru. I'm do electrical work for a living. Most of my days deal with running pipe and pulling wiring. I don't even touch a computer during the day at work. Computers are a hobby I've had for ~25 years now. I ran a WWIV BBS in High School and enjoyed modifing the C++ code to change things to my liking. That said, I guess I do okay considering. Hoping to learn some and hopefully give back some as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.