Hello, long time lurker first time poster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostlygeek

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I built my FreeNAS machine:

- Node 304
- 6x WD 3TB Red
- 2x SSD ... yes they fit in the 304 :)
- ASRock C2750D4I, 16GB ECC RAM

about 2 years ago. Since then it has died once and been resurrected once. I've been doing web / server software development for about 20+ years. I currently work as a software engineering manager building web server applications. Previous jobs have been sysadmin, devops, programmer and a professional house painter.

I'm hoping I can contribute back to the FreeNAS project in some way and happy to be part of the community.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Welcome.

Neorej

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I built my FreeNAS machine:

- Node 304
- 6x WD 3TB Red
- 2x SSD ... yes they fit in the 304 :)
- ASRock C2750D4I, 16GB ECC RAM

about 2 years ago. Since then it has died once and been resurrected once. I've been doing web / server software development for about 20+ years. I currently work as a software engineering manager building web server applications. Previous jobs have been sysadmin, devops, programmer and a professional house painter.

I'm hoping I can contribute back to the FreeNAS project in some way and happy to be part of the community.

Hi!
I'm also new here, enthusiasts with little experience but as most probably, have been lurking for quite some time and will be moving to a machine that will be able to run FreeNas soon.
Going for a quite identical build as yours btw and wondering where you left those SSDs in that case :) Would have some pictures of your build?

mostlygeek

Cadet
I managed to screw them into the outside of the outer left/right drive cages. It's a tight fit but because they are so thin they do fit. Since they don't generate much heat it hasn't been a problem at all.

Vlad0

Cadet
I managed to screw them into the outside of the outer left/right drive cages. It's a tight fit but because they are so thin they do fit. Since they don't generate much heat it hasn't been a problem at all.
I've been thinking of adding some SSDs to my NODE 304 and i also suspected they will fit there. On a side note I noticed you do programming, and i have been trying to get into it. Any advice on best place to start or a good programming language to start?

mostlygeek

Cadet
Depends on what sort of programming you're thinking of getting into.

Web UIs : learn javascript, css, html. Then learn react, vuejs, etc.
Backend web api: python, ruby or golang
Systems programming: C or Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.