"This is a FreeNAS data disk and cannot boot system"

Status
Not open for further replies.

knubbze

Cadet
I have recently set up a zpool on a Solaris 11.1 machine, using a set of HDDs which were previously used in a FreeNAS box. The disks were cleared and a new, unrelated pool was setup. I did NOT import the old pool into the new system, or re-use anything from the old FreeNAS box. The new Solaris pool also implements a newer ZFS version (v31) than the pool that was created on the FreeNAS machine.

However, while I was testing something unrelated, I booted the Solaris machine without its boot/OS drive connected, and noticed that the HDDs which are comprise the data pool make the computer show this message upon boot:

sKlKn5Q.jpg

What exactly is going on here, and how do I remove it? As i said, the drives were cleared and used to setup a NEW zpool, using a newer version of ZFS. So how have the drives retained this FreeNAS error message? Why is FreeNAS even writing this boot stuff onto zpool disks?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's to provide you with some friendly message besides "no boot disk". You have no idea how many users can figure out what is wrong if you have 10 disks, one is supposed to be bootable but isn't, and all they ever get is the standard "OS not found". It was meant to help newbies troubleshoot issues without spending days of troubleshooting because they can't figure out what a BIOS settings screen is.

You want to remove it? Wipe the drive. It's not a big deal really and you're only caring because you got the message. Normally you'd boot from your boot disk, in which case the bootloader of the other drives isn't even accessed.

Wyl

Explorer
I just woke up ready for another day of learning server stuff.... And all I see this the above message posted.... This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system.

I have not made any changes other then recently upgrading to 9.1.1 if that helps in troubleshooting. the unit has a brand new 8gb flash... Am I to assume that has failed?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd check your BIOS' boot order. Assuming it hasn't changed, it sounds like your flash drive may have failed. It's also possible that something went wrong and your USB stick isn't bootable anymore.

Reactions: Wyl

Wyl

Explorer
I ended up not even using the SSD drive. It just sitting there. Could a failed drive cause a boot error? Other then the obvious flash drive failing...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not normally, but some BIOSes screw up their boot order if you add or remove a disk from the system. Like I said, I'd check the BIOS boot order before making any assumptions.

Wyl

Explorer
I'd check your BIOS' boot order. Assuming it hasn't changed, it sounds like your flash drive may have failed. It's also possible that something went wrong and your USB stick isn't bootable anymore.

I was ready to run out and buy Windows and setup a more traditional server... I'll give myself another few weeks... lol

If anyone doubt your knowledge of freeNAS, I hope they read my post here... You are damn smart... you understood my problem... and I fixed it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm smart, but not "real" smart. I've just seen the most common noobie mistakes enough to know what is most likely wrong.

SpeChi

Cadet
I have a similar issue:

I have a failing boot USB (V9.10.2-U4), so I decided to get new USBs and install V11 (the latest one) with the intention of simply restoring my saved config and moving on....but after going through the process of the new ISOusb and installing to a new USB, I get the message "this is a FreeNAS data disk" bla bla bla, on the reboot.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Fix your boot order and don't necro vaguely related threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.