This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System Halted

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanStryker

Cadet
So my FreeNas was originally set up for Windows as my uncle was setting everything up for me. However I was running a Mac and I wasn't able to transfer any files on to the machine. He recommended I reinstall with Mac install so I went about creating a USB drive and followed the Youtube tutorial on how to do so. Everything went smoothly and when I restarted the machine with the USB plugged in it reads "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted." To which I did some research and it seems the most likely fix is the boot order. However on my machine I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the boot order. Suggestions ranged from holding ESC, DEL, numerous F keys none of which did anything on start up. As soon as I start up the machine it simply defaults back to the error, with or without the usb plugged into the machine. I'm relatively inexperienced with computers and extremely new to FreeNas so I just don't know what to do next. Please help, thanks in advance.

diskdiddler

Wizard
You need to find the model of your computer and identify it for us.

The bios us generally del, F10, f2 Or F12

Recommend you turn it off, (not reset) then as soon as you turn it on, keep pressing one of those 3 keys over and over.

You'll eventually get it.

Once you're in, yes boot order change should fix it.

Good luck

RyanStryker

Cadet
Okay so I finally get in with F8 and select my usb drive and still get same error after it restarts. Thoughts now?

Attachments

• 6DE31006-7506-4DD5-9061-0EAB43A3693C.jpeg
    6DE31006-7506-4DD5-9061-0EAB43A3693C.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

RyanStryker

Cadet
To update I also did it here in the bios and now it’s it’s just constantly restarting. So I’m guessing there’s an issue with the usb drive?

Attachments

• 60783899-9B0C-4B1D-B8F2-46F9CBF7A25D.jpeg
    60783899-9B0C-4B1D-B8F2-46F9CBF7A25D.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 447
  • F1FB1E1A-F8A8-41B4-B8F8-BC74C6693E89.jpeg
    F1FB1E1A-F8A8-41B4-B8F8-BC74C6693E89.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
That last thing you did is a great test.

Yes it’s possible the USB key.
Try making it with a tool called win32diskimager.

Also try looking for a different bootable iso to test such as a Ubuntu live CD
Finally try another key.

You’re learning, good stuff

RyanStryker

Cadet
Does the program exist for OS X? I created the initial key by burning the iso file with terminal on OS X.

danb35

Hall of Famer
He recommended I reinstall with Mac install
Your uncle was either joking, or he didn't know what he's talking about--there's no such thing as a "Mac install" or "set up for Windows" with FreeNAS. The boot device doesn't know or care whether it was written under macOS, Windows, Linux, or by manually flipping bits on the silicon under an electron microscope--the installer is a binary image that's written to a USB stick, which then boots and installs FreeNAS onto a separate boot device. The manual has instructions on how to write the installer image to the USB stick.

If the installer won't boot, refer to the forum rules that @garm linked (and that you said you read and agreed to when you joined earlier today), and provide the information that's requested there--minimally, your hardware details and FreeNAS version.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Format the install drive on another computer and try again?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

diskdiddler

Wizard
Does the program exist for OS X? I created the initial key by burning the iso file with terminal on OS X.

You need to Google for a disk imager or USB writer for Mac. Then "write" the ISO file to the USB key.

I strongly recommend getting another bootable iso though. Such as Ubuntu live cd or memtest (just search for the ISO of both)

They are both bootable and if you try a different iso, we will be able to identify where the problem is.

Try another usb key also.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
I have used "etcher" on mac. Used it to write both Ubuntu and FreeNAS. Just a pain when you want to reclaim the flash drive after.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.