Newb: "This is a FreeNas data disk and can not boot system. System halted" error

smartin80

Dabbler
I'm very new to FreeNas...

I had my setup running quite happily. Unfortunately we are an entirely Mac-based household and I needed a PC to update some firmware on an SSD drive. The only suitable box I had available was my FreeNas box...

I removed the SSD FreeNas was booted on,
Hooked up the new SSD. Did what I needed to do and replaced my original SSD which *was* running FreeNas perfectly happily.
I expected things to just pick up where they left off. Instead I get an: "This is a FreeNas data disk and can not boot system. System halted" error.

How do I get past this please? I'm hoping I don't have to start from scratch... :-/

S

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Check the boot settings in the BIOS. You'll need to designate the SSD as the boot drive again.

kappclark

Explorer
Check startup settings (select correct boot device) ... are re-using a zfs data disk ?

I had the same plm when I re-used some Barracuda 1TB disks in a different box. (Open Media Vault) The drives had originally been zfs-freenas data disks...the solution for me was using the wipe utility inside OMV -- freenas also has this wipe feature ...