Thinking about Downgrading: AHCI Timeouts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

holzmann

Dabbler
Specs:
FreeNAS 8.0.2
RAIDZ2 + 4K
Mobo: ASUS M4A88T-M LE (NB: AMD 880G, SB: AMD SB710)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Unbuffered Server Memory
HDD: 4x SAMSUNG EcoGreen 1TB

I can duplicate the errors every time I try to copy a 16GB directory over from the old server to the new server.

About 10 minutes into it, I start getting "ahcichX: Timeout on slot NN port 0" where X ranges from 0-3 for all four disks. The list of related errors just keeps going.

I get the error no matter if SATA is configured for IDE or AHCI in the BIOS.

The system runs fine and can run for 24+ hours as long as I am not copying large amounts of data to it.

If I was getting errors on ONE drive I would believe it and replace it but getting errors on ALL FOUR when everything seems to be running fine?

I guess it could be the SATA controller?

I am not sure what to do now. I had been using FN7 for like 2+ years and NEVER had an issue with it, albeit on older hardware running a simply RAID1 configuration. Do I downgrade to FN7? Abandon FN altogether? Buy a PCI SATA controller card?

sunflashx

Dabbler
I'd try tuning the memory settings in the loader.conf file. Supposedly ZFS is smarter about using memory in the newer OS/ZFS versions, but it doesn't really seem to do anything really well without monkeying around with ZFS settings.

This is on the basis that I had issues with my FN7 until I forced the memory settings. I had persistent data corruption issues on large DVD size files. Small files were ok. It might not be even remotely close to related to your problem though. :p

holzmann

Dabbler
Well, I said that I am trying to copy a 16GB directory made up of hundreds of files. So I am dealing with MANY smaller files.

Status
Not open for further replies.