After 5 months of 24/7 uptime, problems with FreeNAS server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

holzmann

Dabbler
I built a FreeNAS/ZFS Z2 home media/backup server last December with the following specs:

ASUS M4A88T-M LE AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Intel EXPI9301CT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Desktop Adapter
Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Unbuffered Server Memory
SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Crucial Gizmo! 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (For the OS)
4x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Storage)

It runs a version of FreeNAS 7 that was current as of December 2011. (I know this is a FreeNAS 8 forum, but since the 7 forum is down, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here.)

FreeNAS is configured to send a test e-mail report from each of the four SMART-enabled drives upon boot. Of course it is also configured to send any SMART errors to the same e-mail.

The server had a perfect 24/7 uptime from December 2011 until May 2, 2012 when I shut the system down while the GF and I went on vacation last week. We returned last Monday evening (May 7), and I booted the server and everything seemed to function normally. I even received the 4 test emails indicating that the SMART reporting function was working normally.

Early this morning I randomly received another set of the SMART test e-mails. I thought this was odd as I did not reboot the system. I then checked to see if the networked SAMBA drive was accessible from my PC and it was not. And then I noticed that the case fans seemed to be spinning up and slowing down with no noise coming from the four hard drives. So I did a hard reboot (reset button) and everything seemed to boot normally, so I accessed FreeNAS through the web-based GUI. FreeNAS reported everything was in working order, so I began the process of a ZFS Pool Scrub. During the scrub, the same thing happened again: the system seemed to shut down and the fans started to spin up, then spin down until I simply did a hard shut down.

Any ideas?

My next step this evening will be to hook up a monitor to the server, open up the case, and see if I can run some diagnostics. Perhaps MEMTEST as a start. Then perhaps try disconnecting the four hard drives and see if FreeNAS will work normally. But my intuition tells me it could be a power supply problem?

paleoN

Wizard
Sounds like a PSU problem to me as well. Of course it could always be the motherboard instead.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.