New to FreeNAS and questions about build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkeel

Dabbler
Im new to FreeNAS but have a friend using it, and I am going to implement it into my home network.
I will have a HTPC running XBMCBuntu (xbmc live basically) that will be my primary playback device. I will also have a ps3 that I stream to, and cell phones that I stream to when I am not home.

I am building a new server to handle all of this, and was looking for some pointers.

Hardware:

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
Case: Rosewill R5 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
HDD's: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Currently I have 3 2tb Samsung F4's, and am at about 80% capacity. I use them to store all my media, majority of which is movies, but there is several folders dedicated to pics, music, personal data, etc.

I will probably be adding a 4th F4 to the setup + 1 or 2 F4's for parody.

This server will act as my FTP server (FileZilla), ripping my blurays (DVDFab), and running PLEX for streaming/transcoding purposes. It will be running W7 and VMWare for FreeNAS, and I will have it configured so the VMware will always boot with W7. This machine also will be running 85%-90% of the time

Out of the server, I do want reliability/safety of my data.
Also, I do want the capability in the future to add more drives if needed without having to back everything up, or create a secondary raid.

My questions is, do you think this is overkill?
And I have been looking at raid5 (which FreeNAS calles raidZ), would this be the best way to go? Im new to running raids, and based on the reading I have done, it seems raid6>raid5 for better reliability.

I really appreciate any and all help.

ProtoSD

MVP
This server will be running Windows 7 since it will act as my FTP server, ripping my blurays, and running PLEX for streaming/transcoding purposes.

Silly question, if it will be running Windows 7, how do you plan to run FreeNAS?

rkeel

Dabbler
Silly question, if it will be running Windows 7, how do you plan to run FreeNAS?

Sorry let me clearify.

It will be running W7 and VMWare for FreeNAS, and I will have it configured so the VMware will always boot with W7. This machine also will be running 85%-90% of the time

ProtoSD

MVP
Ok, that makes more sense ;)

I don't think it's overkill, but I think you need more RAM. FreeNAS will need at least 4GB, and if you're going to be doing all that other stuff in Windows, I think more RAM is important.

So how many disks will be dedicated to your storage array in FreeNAS? I'd recommend raidz2, which means an even number of disks (probably 6 in your case). It's better to do it correctly now AND make sure you're going to have enough storage to satisfy your needs for awhile. If you're doing a lot of ripping and downloading, it will fill up in a hurry. When you have that much storage at your disposal, it's easy to just start saving everything you think you might want.

rkeel

Dabbler
Would I be able to do raidz2 with only 5 disks now (3data 2 redundant), and have the capability to add a 6th in the future without having to do a complete rebuild?
And 8gb ram wouldn't really be adequate? Im running 4 right now on my pc for ripping/transcoding with plex, and its seems ok.
I also have yet to decide if I want to put a SSD in my HTPC or in this server to hold the OS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Deleted...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Haha. I actually wasn't trying to promote the presentation.. but I'm glad it helped :)

rkeel

Dabbler
haha. yea it was nice to actually see/understand the differences. thinking ima go with the radiz2 option. more pricey.... but worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.