AHCI controller reset failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Dabbler
Background: I am trying to install a FreeNAS 9.2 on my ESXI server and pass my SATA controller to it. The controller is a SB700 running in "IDE" mode which is built into my Asrock 970 extreme 3 motherboard.

Problem: FreeNAS does not see any of my disks and produces the errors below at boot. I know passthrough works because when I pass the SATA controller to an XP VM it can see all the disks and manipulate them.
Output.PNG

Solutions I've tried: Running controller in AHCI mode, Messing around with other AHCI bios settings (Combined mode, some weird AMD setting, etc).

I kind of feel like this is a driver issue or some custom setting I can change after install but googling and trial and errors have not been my friends. Thanks for the help.

--Also found this. Looks old but nevertheless AHCI mode is having the same issue--
https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/f...ions/3c49b58ce468aab699bcef9841ddfc8072bd5c12

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Problem: FreeNAS does not see any of my disks and produces the errors below at boot. I know passthrough works because when I pass the SATA controller to an XP VM it can see all the disks and manipulate them.

No. What you know is that passthrough works with XP in a VM. That's it.

Passthrough is very complex and one aspect is that the driver for your OS must properly handle the passthrough.

gar

Dabbler
This is what I was afraid of. Guess I should have said I know pass-through has the potential to work. Is there a way to find out what driver freenas is attempting to use and maybe modify it to use another?

Will test with freebsd tonight and see if I can get that to work

gar

Dabbler
No luck with freebsd... darn, rather have FreeNAS have full access to the disks instead of going through a Datastore.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, especially since it's VERY WELL documented that using datastores for FreeNAS data disks is completely stupid/dangerous/unreliable. That's why we have that "do not virtualize" thread where we tell people what not to do because it works fine until it doesn't. And when it doesn't there are no recovery options that cost less than 5 digits.

gar

Dabbler
Yea but pass-through would eliminate most of that risk. Seems to be more a Unix issue than anything as windows picks up the controller fine... owell

Status
Not open for further replies.