SOLVED Tera Copy + Truenas

TYz

Cadet
First of all I am very new to all this, and for the most part I have just battled my way through reading endless posts and a bunch of trial and error to get the results I want.

But i am totally stumped now and I don't even have the faintest idea on what to google...

I have just started having some issues when I transfer data from my nas back onto my nas using teracopy. It has previously been working, but I have upgraded my hardware and now I am having the following issues.

If i transfer data toa folder on my pc and then back on to the nas, I have no issues. The files will copy back and forth fine with teracopy.

But if I copy from one folder on the nas to another fodler on the nas it locks up and I need to reboot the nas. I havent been able to find any error codes or the like, the webui just stops responding and the jails all stop functioning.

If I uninstall teracopy and use the standard windows transfer I am able to transfer from one folder on the nas to another.

I realise for any real help I will need to provide more information, but like i said before I have no clue as to what is going on and what information might be helpful.

Thanks for any help you can provide

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So, TeraCopy is a third party copy tool and I don't know what it's doing in the background, maybe it's multi-threading the copy operations.

The "problem" I can see is that you're probably using a single-threaded process (smbd) on the server to do 2 jobs (copy out and copy back... or even many copy commands at the same time in both directions with TeraCopy).

If you want to copy files within the server, use another tool at the shell like mc, rsync or just cp.

TYz

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply.

My server set up consists of dual xeon e5 2620 on a sketchy Ali express mobo. Seems to be running fine apart from.this issue for the past 48 hours... I'm sure I will find a few of these limitations with my mobo choice :)

The alternate way to transfer files around sounds like the way to go, I'll have a look into the suggestion you made tomorrow and try them out.

I knew the way I was doing it was ineffective, but I wasn't sure where to look.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
First of all I am very new to all this, and for the most part I have just battled my way through reading endless posts and a bunch of trial and error to get the results I want.

But i am totally stumped now and I don't even have the faintest idea on what to google...

I have just started having some issues when I transfer data from my nas back onto my nas using teracopy. It has previously been working, but I have upgraded my hardware and now I am having the following issues.

If i transfer data toa folder on my pc and then back on to the nas, I have no issues. The files will copy back and forth fine with teracopy.

But if I copy from one folder on the nas to another fodler on the nas it locks up and I need to reboot the nas. I havent been able to find any error codes or the like, the webui just stops responding and the jails all stop functioning.

If I uninstall teracopy and use the standard windows transfer I am able to transfer from one folder on the nas to another.

I realise for any real help I will need to provide more information, but like i said before I have no clue as to what is going on and what information might be helpful.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Can you PM me a debug? I might not get a chance to look at it for a few days. I would like to potentially see this behavior live next week if you can reliably reproduce it.

TYz

Cadet
Absolutely I can, I'll have to work out how to get the debug report. But I'll try organise it tomorrow after work.

TYz

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I wasn't able to really identify what was the cause of this issue, but I have worked out a work around/better way of doing what I was wanting to do.

I tried the suggested file transfer methods suggested by @sretalla. Mc looked like a very usable method for what I was wanting to do, but for some reason the commands weren't working for me... seemed simple enough, but I was getting errors saying command unknown (or similar), perhaps I should have been using it through putty and not the Truenas GUI shell. The other methods seemed to require too much typing for the number of files I was wanting to manually move around.

The solution I ended up going with was to install webmin to a jail and have two browser windows open with webmin open and just simply click cut + paste in the file manager. This doesn't cause my NAS to crash and has the added benefit of being instant (not having to copy files to my pc and back over the network.)

@anodos if you would like keep digging to see if you can find the cause I am more than happy to continue to work with you and run any tests you may see fit. My gut feeling is this is some kind of driver/bios/software limitation of the aliexpress motherboard I have chosen to use, it would be great to see it resolved. However I also understand that this issue probably wont effect a large pool of Truenas users.

If anyone is interest in trying webmin, it's super simple to install in a jail. All you need to do is follow the easy install and add your mount points. Then use the File Manager under Tools in webmin (http://Jailip:10000).

TYz

Cadet
I now have this issue 100% resolved. Not just the work around.

It was due to Truenas incompatibility with the onboard realtech NIC. I had read that other people were experiencing issues with realtech ethernet interfaces so I thought I'd try a intel NIC (As recommended in the hardware guide for Truenas).

I added in a Intel I210 PCIe2.1 card and I am able to transfer around data every where I please using Taracopy.