slow network throughput on HP microserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

roberto

Dabbler
not yet, But my next steps are: change nic and add the 5th disk...110Mbit it's too low for my point of view

Winol

Dabbler
Hey there.

I'm having the exact same issue ! The transfer speed is VERY VERY slow compared to what I can do between my mac and my laptop.
It's very frustrating....
Considering to buy the gigabit Intel NIC but this is lame ..... I just bought a brand new server and realize that the NIC suck.. I know this is maybe the driver but well .. :-(

Thanks for this post guys ;)

K

knightwolf

hey guys,

my NIC turned up today and seeing they only just let me know I will attempt to pick it up tonight but may not get time. latest I will have results on Saturday.

So for me with CIFS I am getting sustained 300-400mb/sec from windows 7 -> freenas; this is after my tuning.

so next results will be with tcp-ip and ZFS tuning
then with updated intel CT network card.

will keep you all updated

dschinghis

Cadet
I have upgraded from 8.0.1-BETA3 to 8.0.2 and my transfer speed in direction towards freenas have degraded to 1Mbit from 30Mbit. In opposite direction I can still get around 280Mbit. I checked netstat and sysctl and I can see a lot of InputErrors and FCSErrors at reception. So, I would assume that bge driver has been updated between mentioned releases of freenas and now it became not-so-freenas because I have to by new NIC adapter...

roberto

Dabbler
So for me with CIFS I am getting sustained 300-400mb/sec from windows 7 -> freenas; this is after my tuning.

Hi knightwolf, which tuning ? can you explain a little bit, please ?
Thanks !

Roberto

ps: can you also test the Wake On Lan on that card, please? I really appreciate if you can :)

K

knightwolf

making some progress and will post my results tonight.

@roberto - will also test wake on lan.
did you want me to test the onboard NIC or the New intel nic?

roberto

Dabbler
Dear All, I'm waiting my new Intel CT card, so, I'll test everything like you knightwolf :)

I let know all the stuff!

Winol

Dabbler
I dont think the onboard NIC supports WOL guys ! :(

Knightwolf thanks for sharing your results mate ... I m about to throw the server over the window :P

K

knightwolf

ok so I spent till 1am testing last night, so I hope this all makes sense.

First of I tested some tuning before I installed the new network card. below is the link to the configurations I used. I tried using the exact settings and various tweaks myself.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3767

http://harryd71.blogspot.com/2008/10/tuning-freenas-zfs.html

Results
I found that any tuning actually made my throughput worse and average drop of about 15-20%. it did however smooth out the peaks and troughs but ended up dropping the overall average through put.

Next I tested Roberto's posted loader.conf settings and was initially excited as the throughput was higher but only for a short time.

Installed Intel CT nic
reset all my settings and config files to default settings.

CIFS throughput was actually a bit better than FTP which was surprising. I could sustain 620-680 mb/s using the default settings. FTP was around 550-570mb/s. either one is very acceptable speeds for me.

I just had to continue testing so I added the configurations from the links above and again the results were a lower throughput. it dropped down to a max of 520 mb/s.

I again tested Roberto's config changes and was initially excited as it was sustaining 780+ mb/s but unfortunately after 3 minutes the throughput dropped to aprox 420-450mb/s and stayed at that rate.

Jumbo Frames testing
I tested various combinations of jumbo frame settings and found that 7k was about the best as far as stability, it didn't however increase the overall transfer speed but did reduce the choppy peak and troughs of the transfer. however seeing as I will be streaming over wireless and gig networks I decided the small enhancement did not warrant the effort to configure.

Wake on Lan Test
first off I believe the onboard nic can do WOL but seeing as I didn't test this card I cannot say for certain. I will test this tonight.

I did however test the Intel CT nic using free software I could called FUSION WOL. worked like a dream. the only thing you needed was either the IP address while the HP server was running and it would find the MAC address then the rest was as easy as a click of the button using the MAC address.

Summary

-Definite improvement with the Intel CT nic and I would recommend this upgrade. (remember it uses a PCIe bus so a lot of cards are just PCI - the intel CT PCIe card fits - I got mine from Harris technology in Sydney)
-Tuning settings I tested caused a slower throughput than using the default settings.
-Jumbo frames while a more consistent throughput did not make enough of an improvement to be worth the tweaking effort on this system.
-Wake on Lan works very easily with this network card.

if this does not answer everyone's questions or you would like more details please don't hesitate to ask. I am happy to help were I can.

I will test tonight the onboard nic for WOL compatibility

K

knightwolf

oh also on installing the new network card I could not access the server. I had it set to DHCP but it did not pick up an IP address.

I switched back to the onboard nic and still could not see the server. I reset the network configurations and again no access.

using the console I had to re-configure both nic's to use DHCP it seemed that they had lost their setting when I either installed the new nic or removed the cable from the onboard nic.

simple fix tho, just use the console and configure it for DHCP and bingo it worked.

Winol

Dabbler
Thanks for your explanation and time Knightwolf. So I guess it's time for me to order a new NIC. Can you please link us the exact model you bought please ?

There are so many different Intel CHIP and I dont want to make any mistake when buying stuff

Thanks a lot man !!

Your help was so precious !

K

knightwolf

few other tips:

Easy editor

nano is an easy linux editor. at the console "nano /boot/loader.conf" to edit the loader.conf file.

loader.conf location
as above /boot/loader.conf

to edit the files - and/or - error read only file system
you need to mount your file system as read/write to make changes to the above files

mount the filesystem read/write with : mount -uw /
then modify the file
mount the filesystem readonly with : mount -ur /

K

knightwolf

WOL (Wake on Lan)

Winol you are correct. The onboard nic does not support WOL. the BIOS does which enables you to use the Intel network card to WOL.

HP microserver's onboard NIC does not support Wake on Lan.

Winol

Dabbler
hehe no problem :)

So if I understand correctly you just had to reset your settings to default configuration and then you plugged the new NIC and worked like a charm right ? (except the DHCP thing) :P

Thanks

K

knightwolf

yep that's right!

also when I changed back to the onboard Nic to test the wake on lan it would not pick up an ip address again even though I had not changed the DHCP settings. each time I have to use the console and reset the DHCP settings.

roberto

Dabbler
Thank you very much Knightwolf ! I really appreciate your hard work!
I bought the same PCIe card and now I'm still waiting to receive it....When ready, I promise to do other test, write a guide, test new zfs-tuning and build my own (for HP microserver) kernel&driver, in order to create custom FreeNAS-microserver!

I hope to help the microserver-community as much as I can :)

ciao!

K

knightwolf

I would be very interested in that.

I look forward to all your results, keep us posted on your progress and results.

Status
Not open for further replies.