slow network throughput on HP microserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashiwagi

Dabbler
Why would you need a custom compiled kernel for the microserver? Maybe I am missing something obvious here, but aren't all necessary drivers loaded with the standard kernel/modules?

Winol

Dabbler
kashiwagi,

Does your microserver works well using the default settings ? Because we are a lot of guys here experiencing some issues related to network speed.
The network card seems to stall when going faster than 100Mbit/s on an FTP/CIFS/AFP file transfer. I ve tested with Iperf and the server can receive and send at 400Mbits/s without any problem

Would be interested to know what do you think

kashiwagi

Dabbler
Winol,

I am using default settings for everything on a N36L with 8GB ECC RAM.

Using the standard NIC (the onboard realtek), I get approximately a steady 60-70MB/s (500-600Mbps) using AFP. While I would like as close to full gigabit speeds as possible, it is fast enough for me not being able to justify buying an Intel CT for testing.

Maybe the realtek is picky about the network environment? On the other hand, that would give you problems with iperf....hrmm...

Milhouse

Guru
Using the standard NIC (the onboard realtek), I get approximately a steady 60-70MB/s (500-600Mbps) using AFP.

The onboard NIC in the HP N36L is a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5723.

While testing an N36L and it's onboard NIC using iperf with FreeNAS 0.7 and subsequently FreeNAS 8, I experienced the bge timeout error which seems to be a long standing and still unresolved issue in FreeBSD where these Broadcom NICs are concerned.

I decided I could waste weeks or months of my time trying and failing to get the onboard network interface to work reliably and return decent network performance under FreeBSD/FreeNAS, or I could cut my losses, disable the onboard Broadcom NIC and drop in a replacement Intel CT card for ~£20 a pop.

I may now be £20 poorer but I saved a lot of time and grief and I now get rock solid network performance and iperf measures in the region of 900Mbits/s, with no resets.

Winol

Dabbler
Hey there milhouse

Can you please link the exact model that you bought please , I'm so pissed off about ths NAS right now :(

Thanks for ur help

survive

Behold the Wumpus

roberto

Dabbler
I confirm this network device. Now I can reach 450/500 Mbit withouth tuning...but I'm still test all the configs. I let you know when done!
ciao

Winol

Dabbler
Hey guys.

I just got the NIC but having trouble to install it into the chassis .. I guess I need to cut something in the back of the chassis....

How did you plug it ?

Milhouse

Guru
Whoa... slow down - nothing needs to be cut!

Hopefully you bought a low-profile NIC - these may come fitted with a full height bracket and a low profile bracket in the box, attach the low-profile bracket before proceeding. If you have purchased a full height NIC, return it for a low profile card.

To install, undo the two blue scews at the front of the motherboard - undo them fully, until they pop up on their springs. Remove all the motherboard connectors (drive cable, fan, 2x USB, power). Slide out the motherboard tray.

On the back of the server, flip down the flap that is located below the PSU fan vent - this covers the PCIe retaining screws. Remove the screw for the left PCIe slot (as you look at the back of the server) and remove the silver slot cover.

Install the NIC into the PCIe x1 slot, and re-install the tray. Replace PCIe retaining screw. Job done. If the tray doesn't go all the way in, it's likely one of the blue spring loaded screws at the front is "catching" on something so pull them up when sliding the tray into place.

Winol

Dabbler
Thanks Milouse.

Went to the store because because the smaller part were missing.

Mounted the NIC into the Server and now booting ... Still booting from the old NIC because I dont have access to the BIOS (No keyboard). and wanted to see if I could change the NIC from the shell ...

Unfortunately I checked the Volume first and zpool status tells me that no pools are available ....... /praying ....

Milhouse

Guru
Mounted the NIC into the Server and now booting ... Still booting from the old NIC because I dont have access to the BIOS (No keyboard). and wanted to see if I could change the NIC from the shell ...

I generally prefer to disable unwanted hardware in the BIOS, but you should be able to switch interfaces via the GUI, though it may require a couple of reboots.

Unfortunately I checked the Volume first and zpool status tells me that no pools are available ....... /praying ....

You did reconnect the drive cable? Did the BIOS detect all of your drives during POST? Can't think of any other reason why the pool wouldn't be detected after installing a new NIC.

Winol

Dabbler
Hey guys .

First I wanted to thank Milhouse for his help on IRC .... Couldnt answer there at the end man, I had to go suddenly.

Secondly I have configured the NIC with a new IP and the server is now reachable :)

Problem is that the server is still experiencing some low performance .. I could achieve 800 Mbits once but now it s bugging when it goes faster than 100 Mbits .....

I m so desperate ....

Milhouse

Guru
Bugging... how exactly? Do you mean a kernel panic? Have you managed to disable the onboard Broadcom NIC in the BIOS? Are you also using an HP Microserver N36L (can only assume you are given this thread title...)?

I've had zero problems (panics, crashes etc.) with this combination and Intel CT NIC/FreeNAS 8.0.x-AMD64 (using latest official HP BIOS update, 25 August 2011).

Winol

Dabbler
an FTP transfer is starting . going up to 150 Mbits and then stop and coming back and stop and coming back and stop ... etc etc .

Yeap I m using an N36L with Freenas 8.0.2 Amd64.

I never upgraded the BIOS . Will check that .

Winol

Dabbler
Did not test with the new NIC but had 800 Mbits/s with the onboard NIC . Will check tomorrow . Kinda late here :P

Thanks for your help Milhouse.

Win

Status
Not open for further replies.