Teracopy 2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone notice how much slower teracopy is to copy a file from Freenas, over using windows copy?

I have been testing a few things this afternoon/morning I found copying a file with teracopy from my server to my computer does around 70-80mb/s usually 75mb/s while using Windows 10 built in copy program does 110-113mb/s

Frustrating. Same file repeatedly copying to the same spot and over writing. You'd think the cache might help out but its the same each time with the same file.

I did a stop watch test with a 4.4gb file from the server to same directory standard copy. tera copy 55 seconds, windows copy 43 (tested 2 times each)

Why do I use teracopy? because I enjoy the verify function of it. Every time I copy something to the server I always verify that my data made it with out errors. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have a verify option

Anyone else using a file copy program that works well simular to teracopy? I tried a few and was not impressed with the gui of each copier.

Anyone have any tricks and tips on how to make teracopy work better? It seems windows 10 copy is multi-threaded where as teracopy is not?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've noticed quite a few times. That's one reason why I keep telling people not to use those crappy file copy replacements. :P

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Anyone notice how much slower teracopy is to copy a file from Freenas, over using windows copy?

I have been testing a few things this afternoon/morning I found copying a file with teracopy from my server to my computer does around 70-80mb/s usually 75mb/s while using Windows 10 built in copy program does 110-113mb/s

Frustrating. Same file repeatedly copying to the same spot and over writing. You'd think the cache might help out but its the same each time with the same file.

I did a stop watch test with a 4.4gb file from the server to same directory standard copy. tera copy 55 seconds, windows copy 43 (tested 2 times each)

Why do I use teracopy? because I enjoy the verify function of it. Every time I copy something to the server I always verify that my data made it with out errors. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have a verify option

Anyone else using a file copy program that works well simular to teracopy? I tried a few and was not impressed with the gui of each copier.

Anyone have any tricks and tips on how to make teracopy work better? It seems windows 10 copy is multi-threaded where as teracopy is not?
Why not use robocopy?

Well, I do worry about copying files to the server from my computer and having errors induced into the server. It's happened once already with teracopy where the crc checksum didn't match up. I mean I spent the money server board ecc ram etc. I'll try robo copy out.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I do worry about copying files to the server from my computer and having errors induced into the server. It's happened once already with teracopy where the crc checksum didn't match up. I mean I spent the money server board ecc ram etc. I'll try robo copy out.

That is more than likely indicative of your desktop and not your server, assuming your server is server-grade parts.

On more than one occasion we've had files getting corrupted that we eventually traced back to a bad NIC and bad RAM on the respective desktops.

I am sure it is this computer. I wouldn't think it was the server. The server is server grade parts, ecc ram xeon (Spelling?) cpu
But I still need to be sure that my data is getting onto the server safely. A friend of mine said if I buy the pro version of teracopy I can adjust block size to copy and that will speed up copying larger files as it is set to small block size factory. So it sounds like I need to spend a few dollars.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. I find that a little hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.