Restoring jails?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Until some time last night, I had all my jails on a single-SSD pool (called, creatively enough, ssdpool). This was a holdover from the days when we could have VirtualBox jails, so I had a couple of VMs there and figured the performance would help. Those days are long gone, but inertia meant the jails stayed. Until last night, when the SSD died and died hard.

Fortunately, I have a backup--I've occasionally run a replication task of all of ssdpool to tank/ssd_backup. It isn't completely current, but it should have all the jails there in pretty close to their present state. What I'm not quite clear on is what to do with it. My current guess is:
  • Activate tank for iocage (in the GUI, pick that pool)
  • Replicate tank/ssd_backup/iocage to tank/iocage
  • ???
  • Profit?
Any thoughts on the way ahead would be appreciated.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think your plan sounds good.

The other alternative is to put in a new disk/ssd and create a pool called ssdpool on it, then replicate back to that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The other alternative is to put in a new disk/ssd and create a pool called ssdpool on it
I'd actually ordered a pair of SSDs (at least I can learn from my mistakes) before I remembered (as I've said in many threads here) that there's no real reason to be running jails on SSDs. Besides, Amazon promised the SSDs by Friday, but quotes a month's lead time on the hot-swap adapters, so... I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

sretalla