Moving from Jails to IOCAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopfarth

Explorer
The closest you can see is not close at all. The closest would be /mnt/tank/plex. If /mnt/tank/plex does not exist (and the storage screenshots you've shown don't prove that by any means--they don't show directories, only datasets), create it. What would be stored there would be the configuration and metadata for Plex. That way, you can easily destroy and recreate the jail if needed or desired, with no reconfiguration needed.

I'm confused by the disparity in the advice you and INCSlayer aregiving. His reply says I should create /config inside the jail, which makes sense. But the command is to map /mnt/tank/apps/plex to that directory. If I also have to create that directory, why? it would be empty, and I would be creating an empty directory inside the jail and then pointing it to an empty directory outside the jail. Why wouldn't I use a directory that was created during the jail creation command?

Standing up plexmediaserver from the package means it is using some default configurations. Those configurations would be installed somewhere in the jail as it was created. Is that not correct?

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
His reply says I should create /config inside the jail,
No, it doesn't. It only says to do that if there's an error, which there won't be if you're doing everything else correctly. We're saying the same thing.

geopfarth

Explorer
the first thing do actually check is there a location on your /mnt/tank named apps and does it also contain a folder named plex? if not create those folders after doing that there will be a place for the command to use if you still get a error then you will need to enter the jail via iocage console plex and run
Code:
mkdir /config
then exit the jail and try the fstab command if you make sure you have the folders in both locations then the command will work.
normally you should not have to have created the internal folder when using the fstab command like this it should create the location if it does not exist but to be sure it works then create it manually if you get a error.

So how do I check to see if this directory has been created? is it a command in the shell? Danb35 says it isn't under the storage tab because those are "datasets not directories"

Last edited by a moderator:

geopfarth

Explorer
Blew away the Plex jail and tried to start from scratch:
I am using the resource: FN11.1 Jails for Plex, PlexPY etc
This has an assumption that I have a "video dataset, a torrent dataset and apps dataset that has a dataset under it for each application's configuration files owned by the user that it will run as."

There is no advice on how to create these datasets in IOCAGE my google-fu is not strong enough to find a resource outside the FreeNas community that really explains it. The user guide for FN11 has a lot of screenshots of the old UI and nothing about adding datasets or directories to an IOCAGE jail

Based on the preceding discussion thread I don't understand the difference between a dataset and a directory, so I can't tell you if I actually do have these data sets. I can tell you that I have Plex running in a Jail I created in 9.10 and it has 2 attached storage targets: /mnt/Jails/scratchpad (destination /tmp) and /mnt/tank/media (destination /media)

Ran the first 2 commands and got my first error:

upload_2018-2-9_16-17-32.png

I'm not sure that has anything to do with the next error
upload_2018-2-9_16-27-45.png

And I am back to, where is /mnt/tank1/apps/plex ? How did it get there? when was it created? How do I see it? what commands or where in the UI (Old or new) do I go to see it? How do I verify that the jail is being created on the SSD and not the array? I don't see anything in any of the commands that specifies where it should be placed.

I really appreciate the help so far, but I am getting really confused because I get about 10% of the questions answered and it looks like you are assuming I know something about FreeBSD or Iocage and I don't. I am relying on the resources here to get me the most basic setups I can. If there is a single step that is "assumed to have been done" I need to know where to go to find that step and see how to complete it.

INCSlayer

Contributor
seriously this is a fstab line that is very very basic *nix knowledge in how to mount things.
the /mnt/tank1/apps/plex
is the source location at this point you are not having trouble understanding iocage or jails, you are having trouble understanding source and destination locations in fstab.
the "/mnt/tank1/apps/plex" is the source its whatever you want to make sure that the plex jail sees and accesses that is outside the jail itself like your movies or tv shows
as a example in my plex jail i have a fstab for my movies which is:
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Storage/Main/Movies /media/Movies nullfs rw 0 0
and /mnt/Storage/Main/Movies is the outside location where on my dataset i store my movies and /media/Movies is where i want it to be inside the plex jail.
and my config (I am running things from scratch so my setup is somewhat different but basically the end result is the same)
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Storage/databases/plexmediaserver /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass nullfs rw 0 0
and /mnt/Storage/databases/plexmediaserver is where on my dataset my config for my plex is located this is a location that i have created for this purpose and you will have to for your setup create "/mnt/tank1/apps/plex" or equivalent location for the config the target location in my case "/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass" in your case "/config" will if the command runs correctly be created within the jail as a place for it to be mounted on.

The reason you are only feeling like your understanding 10% of our answers is because we have been making the assumption that your knowledge included the tbh quite basic knowledge of how fstab and mounting within most *nix based system works.

if we go back to the actual problem its stemming from the fact that you haven't on your system setup a location named /mnt/tank1/apps/plex and the guide assumes that you either have a location or is capable of substituting that location for a location that you already have and intend to use.

geopfarth

Explorer
now I am getting an illegal group name error when I run
Code:
iocage exec plex chown -R plex:plex /config

both the group and user plex exist, in fact they are the only user and group I created manually when I set up 9.10. I tried setting up a new group and user for the new iocage systems, but I still get the same error. I double-checked the group and the user, both are all lower case no extra characters.

There is also something wrong with the networking. I get the socket error on Jail creation, and I am unable to ping anything from the jail after it is spun up.
upload_2018-2-11_16-13-28.png

The root shell can get ping out to the world
upload_2018-2-11_16-14-44.png

but the jails can't even hit the local gateway.

I have a single network at my place, so while the server has 4 NICs + IPMI, I am only using 1 NIC and the IPMI.

I still have my old 9.10 jails running and they are working just fine inside and outside my local network.

Last edited:

JJT211

Patron
Last edited:

JJT211

Patron
Basically, from what I understand, was my old jails were the problem. There's some kind of issue with FreeNAS having to do networking with both warden and iocage.

So either I had to setup up a tunable for each bridge for both iocage and warden, or just do away with warden all together and set a single tunable. I chose the latter as that's the whole point of moving to iocage and I already had everything backed up from my old jails anyway.

I completely nuked all my old warden related datasets, set tunables (reboot server afterwards) and started my iocage jails over from scratch. Only then was I finally able to get passed that networkingerror upon installation

I'm a few days in and have had zero probs.

geopfarth

Explorer
Basically, from what I understand, was my old jails were the problem. There's some kind of issue with FreeNAS having to do networking with both warden and iocage.

So either I had to setup up a tunable for each bridge for both iocage and warden, or just do away with warden all together and set a single tunable. I chose the latter as that's the whole point of moving to iocage and I already had everything backed up from my old jails anyway.

I completely nuked all my old warden related datasets, set tunables (reboot server afterwards) and started my iocage jails over from scratch. Only then was I finally able to get passed that networkingerror upon installation

I'm a few days in and have had zero probs.
That seems....severe....
I am not sure I have enough storage space to pull everything off the array and nuke the datasets. I was hoping I could get Plex up and running in an iocage before turning down the old warden jail. Is this a bug, or just a limitation of the new software?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am not sure I have enough storage space to pull everything off the array and nuke the datasets.
He didn't say anything about pulling your data off the array--just the jails.

mrMuppet

Contributor
Did you try this tunables? Those helped me to make the tutorials with vnet work for me.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

geopfarth

Explorer
Did you try this tunables? Those helped me to make the tutorials with vnet work for me.

haven't had he time to test this yet. I might give it a go later on.

mrMuppet

Contributor

geopfarth

Explorer
He didn't say anything about pulling your data off the array--just the jails.
This still requires me to down my functioning plex server and pray that the tunables do the trick. It seems like a fairly drastic way to migrate from old to new. If this is something that will be addressed by the migration tool in 11.2 I might wait till then.

mrMuppet

Contributor
This still requires me to down my functioning plex server and pray that the tunables do the trick. It seems like a fairly drastic way to migrate from old to new. If this is something that will be addressed by the migration tool in 11.2 I might wait till then.
I don't understand why you have to put down your warden plex. I did it exactly this way. Stoppen warden jail temporarily, testing iocage plex, switching warden on again, testing iocage plex again,...

geopfarth

Explorer
I don't understand why you have to put down your warden plex. I did it exactly this way. Stoppen warden jail temporarily, testing iocage plex, switching warden on again, testing iocage plex again,...

JJT211 said
I completely nuked all my old warden related datasets, set tunables (reboot server afterwards) and started my iocage jails over from scratch. Only then was I finally able to get passed that networking error upon installation

If I drop the datasets from the old Plex warden and the new Plex iocage fails to come up or I have an issue, I would need to re-create my datasets on my old Plex again. I did a quick test of setting up a new warden plex and pointing it to the same datasets as the old warden box and I couldn't access my media. I get about 20-30 minutes a week to play with this stuff if I'm lucky, so I haven't done much troubleshooting on the new warden based Plex to see if a setting is messed up, but until I can prove to myself that I can fall back to a known good server I am not going to screw it up.

The new iocage is where I want to go, but so far the setup has been painful (some self inflicted) but with so many little tweaks and changes that need to be done so I can follow a simple resource without getting an error on nearly every command, I don't want to kill something that works just fine right now to attempt something that still only shows up in a GUI that is marked "Beta".

If I can set up the tunables and get the iocage to respond on the network prior to mounting the datasets, I might attempt this.

JJT211

Patron
I just mentioned what I did. Im not completely sure it's necessary to nuke it. Mr Muppet is prob correct.

That being said, its probably wise to just wait for migration tool. I was sweatin it there for a bit.

geopfarth

Explorer
I just mentioned what I did. Im not completely sure it's necessary to nuke it. Mr Muppet is prob correct.

That being said, its probably wise to just wait for migration tool. I was sweatin it there for a bit.
Lucky for me, this is a home server and not "enterprise". Unluckily, my entire family loves it to the point of obsession and I have to schedule maintenance.

geopfarth

Explorer
I got enough time to play around with the server this evening. The tunables fixed the network issue (Thanks JJT211 and MrMuppet). The Plex jail came up with no errors. I still think I am attaching the datasets wrong or something though, because when I go to add my library in the Plex UI, I don't see it attached at all.

Here is a snapshot (using the old GUI) of my storage:
upload_2018-2-12_17-41-23.png

Highlighted are the 2 datastores I created for the Plex and PlexPY applications
The red arrow points to the media folder for all the movies and TV shows for the Plex.

Here were the fstab commands I used:
Code:
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Jails/apps/plex /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/tank/media /mnt/video nullfs ro 0 0

neither came back with an error

Status
Not open for further replies.