Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
TLDR version;
Stop all warden jails
Activate iocage
Run the script migrate_warden.py <-v> -j <jail> -p <iocage-pool>

And the rest of the story..

Well I have the day off work today and I'm kind of bored. I haven't seen a post yet where anyone has tried out the migration script so I figured I'd spin up a fresh 11.1 install in virtualbox and give it a try. I still have one warden jail left standing on my FreeNAS box so this is also a test for me to see how it goes.

This will be a simple test. The VM has just a basic 2 disk pool named "tank", no shares and no users. I have SSH enabled and not much else. To test this out I created a standard jail and installed a FEMP stack and I installed the Transmission plugin as well since that seems to be one that several users run. Nothing is configured on either of these jails, they were just both verified as working after install.

Before running the script I activated iocage by running iocage activate tank. No other configuration was done to iocage. After that I switched trains to 11.2-beta1 and ran the update. After reboot I checked and both jails were still funtional so I ran the script by running migrate_warden.py and was greeted with the error:
Code:
Must specify the destination pool for iocage!

Hmm, I did that already but ok so I ran iocage activate tank again and tried again. Same error. I figured I'd take a look at the script and I found a print operation that listed some switches and the syntax for the script
Code:
migrate_warden.py <-v> -j <jail> -p <iocage-pool>

So I tried again using what I found but I wanted to see if it would migrate both at once so I ran it without specifying a jail name by running migrate_warden.py -v -p tank. Aaakk! Another error. The jails are running and have to be stopped first. So log out of the new UI and log back in the old UI and stop the jails and try again. This time it worked. Both jails were migrated and appepar in the GUI under the jails page and via the CLI with iocage list. Unfortunately networking is still broken and neither one is reachable so I added the tunables mentioned in this thread and reboot the VM.

Code:
Variable : cloned_interfaces
Value : bridge0
Type: rc

Variable : ifconfig_bridge0
Value : addm em0 up
Type: rc

And still no networking. They have the assigned IP address listed and they are running but can't be reached in or out by ping or hostname. And this is where I'm stuck and not able to go further.

In summary, the script works but networking via static IP is broken.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So apparently I had my tunable set wrong. I've edited the first post to reflect the change.

After changing it the plugin is still not working but the standard jail is working now. Both jails still show as an empty jail and as such will not be able to be upgraded. Knowing this I personally would not recommend using the script to move your jails over to iocage. At some point you are going to have to rebuild them to keep them up to date so you might as well re create them manually so they can be upgraded in the future.

Ok it's not working. It was my old warden jail that came back up on reboot, the migrated jails are still not working.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Does running this script damage the warden jail's? Does it add mount points?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I didn't have any mount points set up but @Jurgen Segaert did in his test that he linked to in the post above. It leaves the warden jails intact.

diskdiddler

Wizard

diskdiddler

Wizard

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you read my post above you'll see that I did have networking issues. But also it's a rather moot point because the migration script creates empty jails that can't be upgraded and will have to be destroyed and recreated again at some point.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Is there a way to fix these issues?

I don't mind eventually recreating to be honest.

However the issue with updates is driving me crazy, clearly something is wrong.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The networking issues I don't know and I don't have any time to mess with it, I'm leaving on vacation for 2 weeks here in a couple hours. The empty jail there is no fix for. It's an iocage jail type that's not meant to be upgraded.
Empty jails are intended for unsupported jail setups or testing. Create an empty jail with iocage create -e.

These are ideal for experimentation with unsupported RELEASES or Linux jails.

http://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/jailtypes.html#empty

Status
Not open for further replies.