Warden to iocage migration script, some quick tips for others!

diskdiddler

Wizard
If you go to your server URL
like 192.168.0.1/legacy/ you can pull up the old UI and then manually delete the warden ones.

(I would at least disable them to auto start)

Keep them for a few weeks, until you're sure you're happy yougot all the data out, then nuke them.

SavageAUS

Patron
Beta 3 changed some of my iocage plugins and now they won’t work or they will but have no access to the internet. Have reinstalled FreeNAS and going to start fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diskdiddler

Wizard
Oh man that's not good, which plugins.

Were they plugins (warden migrated or actual iocage beta 1/2 plugins properly installed?) or jails?

SavageAUS

Patron
They were beta 2 plugins. Some fresh and some with imported config/files eg Plex.
The update to Beta 3 changed things like allow raw sockets, was on before but after it was off and even after changing settings back plugins weren’t the same again.

indivision

Guru
If you go to your server URL
like 192.168.0.1/legacy/ you can pull up the old UI and then manually delete the warden ones.

(I would at least disable them to auto start)

Keep them for a few weeks, until you're sure you're happy yougot all the data out, then nuke them.

Thank you. Good idea keeping the old ones around for a bit.

diskdiddler

Wizard
They were beta 2 plugins. Some fresh and some with imported config/files eg Plex.
The update to Beta 3 changed things like allow raw sockets, was on before but after it was off and even after changing settings back plugins weren’t the same again.

That's just straight up not good - I'd consider filing a bug.

indivision

Guru
I'm trying to install pkg and then plex in a blank jail. It was easier to maintain in the past because I could always update Plex quickly. Does iocage allow updating Plex more quickly now?

Or, should I use the blank jail again? If so, how do I get pkg installed?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'm trying to install pkg and then plex in a blank jail. It was easier to maintain in the past because I could always update Plex quickly. Does iocage allow updating Plex more quickly now?

Or, should I use the blank jail again? If so, how do I get pkg installed?

Plex need to release the software.
Then the Freshports, porting person needs to port it.
https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver/

Then finally, the FreeNAS plugin maintainer, needs to update it.

I suspect, once 11.2 final comes out, we will see plugins updated more regularly than they have been the past 12 months, but I doubt it'll be super fast.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

indivision

Guru

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Standard jail.

Chris Dill

Contributor
I am running 100% stable on 11.2, but all of my jails are on the legacy UI. I wish to upgrade, which is the best option?

1. Run the script, edit config, and move all plugins into iocage.
2. Install the plugins new in the new UI, manually configure them to mirror existing settings, decommission warden.
3. Install the plugins new in the new UI, and restore backup config files from warden into iocage to reproduce settings.

I have been manually upgrading Plex for years, and it would be nice to have something managed under Freenas. Also, they have a plexPass channel, and the existing Plex version numbers on 11.2 are higher than the plugin versions from the legacy UI. I would also like my plugins to show under the new UI so I do not have to switch over. I like the new UI.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'd be tempted to do a fresh install when you can, depending on the plugin. Despite the extra work, sometimes it's nice to just get it done fresh.

Note, as per my OP though, you can run the migration script and it'll 'just work' without killing the old one.

ddep

Dabbler
after successfully running migrate_warden.py i kept on getting the following error when i visit plugin page. even after i added a mounting point download/root.
any ideas? screenshot attached.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 11.51.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 11.56.46 PM.png

Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 175, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 133, in main_worker
res = loop.run_until_complete(coro)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/base_events.py", line 484, in run_until_complete
return future.result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 93, in _run
return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params=args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 85, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 85, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 668, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail.py", line 542, in list_resource
resource_list = iocage.list("all", plugin=True)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/iocage.py", line 1169, in list
quick=quick
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_list.py", line 75, in list_datasets
_all = self.list_all(ds)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_list.py", line 270, in list_all
jail_root = self.zfs.get_dataset(f"{jail.name}/root")
File "libzfs.pyx", line 597, in libzfs.ZFS.get_dataset
libzfs.ZFSException: Dataset download/iocage/jails/transmission_1/root not found
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 167, in call_method
result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1098, in call_method
return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1043, in _call
return await self._call_worker(name, *args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1063, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 997, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 973, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
libzfs.ZFSException: ('Dataset download/iocage/jails/transmission_1/root not found',)

nojohnny101

Wizard
I could be missing something but the error states exactly what the problem is, that I couldn't find
Code:
download/iocage/jails/transmission_1/root

ddep

Dabbler
I could be missing something but the error states exactly what the problem is, that I couldn't find
Code:
download/iocage/jails/transmission_1/root

Yes that why I attached the second screenshot showing that there is transmission_1/root which I created after seeing the error message. Maybe that's something I shouldn't do?

nojohnny101

Wizard
have you tried putting the full path?

mnt/download/iocage/jails/transmission_1/root

ddep

Dabbler
Yes the mount point is pointing to the full path. See the second screenshot above. The two screenshots are so close together it looks like a single screenshot.

hunter

Explorer
Using FN 11.1.U7, and 11.3.U3, when I attempt to run migrate_warden.py from the FN shell, I keep getting the following error:
Code:
Warden does not have a path set, please set one in the GUI

I reverted to FN 11.1.U7 thinking warden wanted a default path to the storage pool for warden jails, but I see it was already configured there in Jails-->Jail Root. I got the same results with migrate_warden.py attempting to use it in FN 11.1.U7.

Does anyone know how to resolve the error message to get the script to run? I paid for subsonic years ago and want to be able to use it again since upgrading my freeNAS, but there is no subsonic in the plugins. Creating one or manually installing it in a jail is beyond my abilities for now.