Proposed FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, that would have been so interesting :)
Should have noted it at the time. Having said that, I don't THINK this was the one. I clearly remember that
the one lagging behind was either the first or second one in my SSH/tmux screen (out of 6) that were running.
And I'm sure I went in order (/dev/ada0, ada1, ada2). So, I'm fairly certain it wasn't ada3 that was lagged.

This is troublesome because now you don't know if the lagging drive is the same one throwing the SMART errors. Therefore, it could still be in the pool. RMA it, throw in the spare drive and when the new one comes in burn it in and keep it as your spare. Read the manual for replacing drives.
Yup. Spare drives just finished badblocks this morning. Waiting for the long tests to finish (around 7pm), then I'll shutdown, pull the bad drive for RMA and replace with one of the "old" drives that finished burn-in testing.

Oh yeah...and I have to check with wdidle because one of these old drives was around 1 million "parks" or whatever (passed bad blocks w/o issue though).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sending this puppy back.
See if you can return it to your retailer--you'll probably get a new replacement, rather than refurbished from the manufacturer.

See if you can return it to your retailer--you'll probably get a new replacement, rather than refurbished from the manufacturer.
I wasn't even considering that as I assumed they would send me to WD automatically, but...Microcenter has a 30 day return policy.

Dice

Wizard
*taking notes*
- Whenever any errors or a like is found on a drive, find serial numbers and take notes for future reference.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Microcenter has a 30 day return policy.
I'd try it. I've returned DOA disks to Amazon before; they even did an advance exchange. RMA to the manufacturer will usually give you a refurbished disk. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but new is usually better.

Stux

MVP
Yup. Standard 4 pass w/ badblocks. Finished it early last week. Don't even have any data on the drives yet except a few test
files to check my windows share.

A full badblocks run is a long smart test, then badblocks, then a long smart test.

Did you run the smart tests too?

Anyway, this is the type of thing that ZFS laughs at, but the drive is stuffed, or soon will be.

A full badblocks run is a long smart test, then badblocks, then a long smart test.

Did you run the smart tests too?

Anyway, this is the type of thing that ZFS laughs at, but the drive is stuffed, or soon will be.

Ran the smart tests also. Full drill, followed the quertymodo "how-to" here

OK, so one of the old drives (from my previous build that failed) was in the process of going through badblocks. I checked on it several times over 24 hours and it was chugging along. Then about 30 hours in, a string of numbers starts very quickly scrolling by (looked like a long list of 9 digit #s). I suspend and reboot. Now when I try to run badblocks again on the drive, the numbers immediately start scrolling (6 digit #s and then very quickly increasing)...am i somehow getting the actual read/write data to show? Or is this drive really toast if I'm getting this crazy output from badblocks?

running
Code:
badblocks -b 4096 -ws /dev/da2

Returning this
Code:
33696^Z3

smartctl -a /dev/da2 returns:
Code:
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===																								
Model Family:	 Western Digital Red																							   
Device Model:	 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0																							 
Serial Number:	WD-WCC4N4TU24YJ																								   
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 260bdde34																								
Firmware Version: 82.00A82																										 
User Capacity:	3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]																				 
Sector Sizes:	 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical																			
Rotation Rate:	5400 rpm																										 
Device is:		In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]																   
ATA Version is:   ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)																			 
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)																			
Local Time is:	Thu May 11 00:03:05 2017 EDT																					 
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.																		 
SMART support is: Enabled																										   

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===																							
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED																			

General SMART Values:																											   
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity															
										was never started.																		 
										Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.													 
Self-test execution status:	  (   0) The previous self-test routine completed													
										without error or no self-test has ever													 
										been run.																				   
Total time to complete Offline																									 
data collection:				(42000) seconds.																					
Offline data collection																											 
capabilities:					(0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.															
										Auto Offline data collection on/off support.												
										Suspend Offline collection upon new														 
										command.																					
										Offline surface scan supported.															 
										Self-test supported.																		
										Conveyance Self-test supported.															 
										Selective Self-test supported.															 
SMART capabilities:			(0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering															
										power-saving mode.																		 
										Supports SMART auto save timer.															 
Error logging capability:		(0x01) Error logging supported.																	
										General Purpose Logging supported.														 
Short self-test routine																											 
recommended polling time:		(   2) minutes.																					
Extended self-test routine																										 
recommended polling time:		( 421) minutes.	   
Conveyance self-test routine																										
recommended polling time:		(   5) minutes.																					
SCT capabilities:			  (0x703d) SCT Status supported.																	   
										SCT Error Recovery Control supported.													   
										SCT Feature Control supported.															 
										SCT Data Table supported.																   

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16																				 
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:																				   
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME		  FLAG	 VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE	  UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE									
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate	 0x002f   200   200   051	Pre-fail  Always	   -	   0											
  3 Spin_Up_Time			0x0027   194   178   021	Pre-fail  Always	   -	   5258										 
  4 Start_Stop_Count		0x0032   100   100   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   90										   
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140	Pre-fail  Always	   -	   0											
  7 Seek_Error_Rate		 0x002e   200   200   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0											
  9 Power_On_Hours		  0x0032   078   078   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   16485										
10 Spin_Retry_Count		0x0032   100   253   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0											
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0											
12 Power_Cycle_Count	   0x0032   100   100   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   90										   
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   58										   
193 Load_Cycle_Count		0x0032   200   200   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   713										 
194 Temperature_Celsius	 0x0022   124   105   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   26										   
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0											
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0											
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   253   000	Old_age   Offline	  -	   0											
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count	0x0032   200   200   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0											
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000	Old_age   Offline	  -	   0											

SMART Error Log Version: 1																										 
No Errors Logged																													

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1																					 
Num  Test_Description	Status				  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error									 
# 1  Extended offline	Completed without error	   00%	 16484		 -													 
# 2  Conveyance offline  Completed without error	   00%	 16476		 -													 
# 3  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16476		 -													 
# 4  Extended offline	Completed without error	   00%	 16446		 -													 
# 5  Conveyance offline  Completed without error	   00%	 16438		 -													 
# 6  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16438		 -													 
# 7  Extended offline	Interrupted (host reset)	  50%	 16380		 -													 
# 8  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16311		 -													 
# 9  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16301		 -													 
#10  Extended offline	Completed without error	   00%	 16296		 -													 
#11  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16263		 -													 
#12  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16215		 -													 
#13  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16167		 -													 
#14  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16119		 -													 
#15  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16071		 -																	   
#16  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 16023		 -													 
#17  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 15975		 -													 
#18  Extended offline	Completed without error	   00%	 15960		 -													 
#19  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 15927		 -													 
#20  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 15879		 -													 
#21  Short offline	   Completed without error	   00%	 15831		 -													 

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1																	 
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS																						
	1		0		0  Not_testing																								
	2		0		0  Not_testing																								
	3		0		0  Not_testing																								
	4		0		0  Not_testing																								
	5		0		0  Not_testing																								
Selective self-test flags (0x0):																									
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.																
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.	 

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
Smart looks fine to me.

Smart looks fine to me.
Yeah...I guess I forget the badblocks test on this drive, complete one more long smart and then put it into service, but not put anything important
into this mirrored pool. The amount of minor issues piling up on this drive is starting to be a bit worrying, regardless of what the smart tests say.

Good lord, luck during this build is sparse. Had badblocks running on the drive I'm planning to use as the cold spare.
It was probably around 50+ hours in and...we lost power (bad storms in the area yesterday). Have the UPS up and running so no immediate shutdown issue, but...no clue with badblocks.

Is there any way to find out if/where it left off? Or if there were any errors?

How much faster is the -ns version of badblocks? I really don't want to have to let it run for another 2+ days.

Yes/and no. Technically no, because the media could very well live within the jail but it is then subject to total loss if the jail was destroyed. (but then again, this would be the case for destroying a dataset. Bottom line; set up as many datasets as you wish to divvy up your media. It could be just one dataset with Music, Movies and TV folders inside. It could be three datasets with no folders and just that type of media per dataset... *ahem, however, Plex and Emby prefer to have a top-level folder containing each piece of media in it's own folder.

Datasets are designed to set permissions and access/denial of its contents. Therefore, you really only need a "media" dataset containing folders labeled Movies, TV, etc.

OK, had a bit of time and wanted to set up Plex. Did I do this correctly?

I set up a CIFS share called Media and a "Users" group following this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

It's accessible in Windows (Yay!)

Then I installed Plex via the GUI. It automatically created a Jail.

I then went into > Jails > plexmediaserver_1 > Storage and set the Source as mnt/Tank/Media (my created Media folder)
and the Destination as /media (/mnt/Tank/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media).

Then I went in via windows on my home PC and added 3 folders to the Media folder (dataset?) I had created. Movies, Music, Pictures.
I added some sample media to each folder, started up Plex and it is accessible on my phone using my Plex App.

Woo hoo!

When I look at the permissions via my PC in the Media folder, it is set to Allow: Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read.

diedrichg

Wizard
OK, had a bit of time and wanted to set up Plex. Did I do this correctly?

I set up a CIFS share called Media and a "Users" group following this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

It's accessible in Windows (Yay!)

Then I installed Plex via the GUI. It automatically created a Jail.

I then went into > Jails > plexmediaserver_1 > Storage and set the Source as mnt/Tank/Media (my created Media folder)
and the Destination as /media (/mnt/Tank/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media).

Then I went in via windows on my home PC and added 3 folders to the Media folder (dataset?) I had created. Movies, Music, Pictures.
I added some sample media to each folder, started up Plex and it is accessible on my phone using my Plex App.

Woo hoo!

When I look at the permissions via my PC in the Media folder, it is set to Allow: Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read.
That's perfect. Don't mess with the dataset permissions and don't mess with the jails/plex/media permissions.

diedrichg

Wizard
You won't need the SMB share once you get your media downloader set up and talking with Plex.

You won't need the SMB share once you get your media downloader set up and talking with Plex.
Interesting. Meaning once I get Sonarr or Radarr going, it will download the media into the appropriate folder so won't need the Windows access to move things around?

If that's the case, that's good to know.

Having said that, I think I will still have use for the share as I do like to take/edit pictures and then make them available to Plex. And call me old fashioned, but
I like to drag/drop them into the appropriate folder sometimes. Especially if I'm taking various pics from multiple folders for viewing.

Outside of the Plex/Media downloading discussion...
Is the rule of thumb to create a dataset for storage and not put it directly on the main poole (tank)?
That way I can be sure to use replication?

Example, I plan to store all my pictures that I take (and then edit in Lightroom), on the server.
I should create a dataset "LR Pictures". Then, I also plan to store all my videos, I should create a dataset "Videos" for all the GoPro stuff
and any edits I do with Premiere?

diedrichg

Wizard
Interesting. Meaning once I get Sonarr or Radarr going, it will download the media into the appropriate folder so won't need the Windows access to move things around?
Correct. It would be a little simpler to install SAB, Sonarr and Radarr in a single custom jail to make talking to each other easier. The confusion happens when you are passing completed files around between a dataset linked to the jail as storage. I'll write a brief example in another reply.

Having said that, I think I will still have use for the share as I do like to take/edit pictures and then make them available to Plex. And call me old fashioned, but
I like to drag/drop them into the appropriate folder sometimes. Especially if I'm taking various pics from multiple folders for viewing.
Having the SMB share to the jails storage is perfectly fine, I just assumed you wouldn't need the access. What you mentioned is perfectly normal.

Outside of the Plex/Media downloading discussion...
Is the rule of thumb to create a dataset for storage and not put it directly on the main poole (tank)?
That way I can be sure to use replication?

Example, I plan to store all my pictures that I take (and then edit in Lightroom), on the server.
I should create a dataset "LR Pictures". Then, I also plan to store all my videos, I should create a dataset "Videos" for all the GoPro stuff
and any edits I do with Premiere?
Two reasons for needing a dataset: 1. Permissions to allow and deny users access. 2. (Well, I always forget the other reason). Also keep in mind that folders can exist anywhere in your directory structure, even at the top level of the pool. You just won't have access to them - and don't create a share at the top level of your pool either (/mnt/tank they should be at least one level deeper /mnt/tank/media). For your photo and video workflow just create a single /mnt/tank/media dataset and place your LR Pictures and GoPro Videos as folders within it. (/mnt/tank/media/GoPro/)

diedrichg

Wizard
Individual plugins setup

Plugins:
SAB
Sonarr
Radarr

Jails storage dataset
Code:
/mnt/tank/media

Folders:
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/incomplete
/mnt/tank/media/complete/sonarr
/mnt/tank/media/complete/radarr
/mnt/tank/media/TV
/mnt/tank/media/Movies

Jails linked storage:
SAB:
Code:
/mnt/tank/media  to /mnt/tank/jails/sabnzbd/media

Within SAB you would then have your incomplete files stored in
Code:
/mnt/tank/jails/sabnzbd/media/incomplete
. Once finished, the file would get stored in
Code:
/mnt/tank/jails/sabnzbd/media/complete/sonarr
(because within SAB you set a sonarr category that was to be stored to
Code:
)

Sonarr:
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/complete/sonarr  to /mnt/tank/jails/sonarr/media

Code:
/mnt/tank/media/TV  to /mnt/tank/jails/sonarr/media/TV

Sonarr's settings does not need a storage location since that info is sent by SAB telling Sonarr that the file is in
Code:
, aka
Code:
. Sonarr does its post-processing magic and then sends the file to
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/TV
. Sonarr knows the location of the TV series because that's what is set in the Path when you created the series (
Code:
/media/TV  -  meaning the /mnt/tank/jails/sonarr/media/TV location
)

Radarr: setup like Sonarr

You will need each jail's IP:Port for each piece of software to talk to each other and so they can access their api.

finally

Plex will then have its storage set as
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/TV  to /mnt/tank/jails/plex/media/TV

That looks incredibly helpful. I'll have to get to this later though. Been dumb busy and haven't even looked at this or my new server in several days.

Individual plugins setup

Plugins:
SAB
Sonarr
Radarr

Jails storage dataset
Code:
/mnt/tank/media

Folders:
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/incomplete
/mnt/tank/media/complete/radarr
/mnt/tank/media/TV
/mnt/tank/media/Movies

Jails linked storage:
SAB:
Code:
/mnt/tank/media  to /mnt/tank/jails/sabnzbd/media

Within SAB you would then have your incomplete files stored in
Code:
/mnt/tank/jails/sabnzbd/media/incomplete
. Once finished, the file would get stored in
Code:
(because within SAB you set a sonarr category that was to be stored to
Code:
)

Sonarr:
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/complete/sonarr  to /mnt/tank/jails/sonarr/media

Code:
/mnt/tank/media/TV  to /mnt/tank/jails/sonarr/media/TV

Sonarr's settings does not need a storage location since that info is sent by SAB telling Sonarr that the file is in
Code:
, aka
Code:
. Sonarr does its post-processing magic and then sends the file to
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/TV
. Sonarr knows the location of the TV series because that's what is set in the Path when you created the series (
Code:
/media/TV  -  meaning the /mnt/tank/jails/sonarr/media/TV location
)

Radarr: setup like Sonarr

You will need each jail's IP:port for each piece of software to talk to each other and so they can access their api.

finally

Plex will then have its storage set as
Code:
/mnt/tank/media/TV  to /mnt/tank/jails/plex/media/TV

diedrichg

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.