Proposed FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard

diedrichg

Wizard
I'm

I'm using memtest for the memory doing a 24 hour check starting tonight), but for the cpu I'm using Breakin and it had those entries for memory. Want to make sure I'm ok
Yes. There is even a thread about this on the forum. There isn't even a setting in the bios to turn off/on ECC. You're good, you know the CPU is compliant and the RAM is ECC.

Breakin has been running for a bit over 3 hours now, CPU temp staying around 64 deg, so I think I'm good with that,
but I have a failed test on hdhealth? Or failid? failid i found 1 or 2 references that say this can be ignored, but
hdhealth I don't find anything, not sure what it is...if it's hard disk, i'm not too worried as the HDDs I have in now have serious errors, but
if someone could reassure me, that would be great.

breakin_20170426_335.jpg

2nd, and a bit worrying, I loaded Breakin via IPMI and I am now trying to end the test (F8 via the virtual keyboard)
and nothing is happening. Test doesn't stop, no popups, nothing.

Breakin has been running for a bit over 3 hours now, CPU temp staying around 64 deg, so I think I'm good with that,
but I have a failed test on hdhealth? Or failid? failid i found 1 or 2 references that say this can be ignored, but
hdhealth I don't find anything, not sure what it is...if it's hard disk, i'm not too worried as the HDDs I have in now have serious errors, but
if someone could reassure me, that would be great.

View attachment 18050

2nd, and a bit worrying, I loaded Breakin via IPMI and I am now trying to end the test (F8 via the virtual keyboard)
and nothing is happening. Test doesn't stop, no popups, nothing.

I was only able to get the test to "stop" by using the IPMI keyboard to reset the computer.
It didn't respond to any other commands (IPMI shut down, Breakin - quit test (F8), Breakin - hardware info (F2))

You certainly could try it. I doubt you have anything to lose, though I'd honestly be surprised if it helped.

Connected 1 drive and just did a check w/o providing the pool name and got the below, but if I put the pool (-F -f -n Data1) then it gives me the textdump stream of data and
then reboots immediately.
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool import -F -f -n										 
   pool: Data1															   
	 id: 4719943691862474623													
  state: DEGRADED															   
action: The pool can be imported despite missing or damaged devices.  The	 
		fault tolerance of the pool may be compromised if imported.			 
config:																		

Data1										   DEGRADED				
		  mirror-0									  DEGRADED				
			gptid/22db21f3-06fb-11e7-adcf-94de8001cf84  ONLINE				 

Same exact outcome if I connect the other drive only.

Anyone have anything good to say about those drives?
If not, I'm calling them toast, shedding a single tear for my lost data and then moving forward with loading my new 6 x 3TB drives in RAIDZ2
and doing all the burn-in/memtest/setup

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist											
<ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A82>		at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass0,da0)		 
<SanDisk SDSSDA120G Z32080RL>	  at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada0)		
<WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82>	at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,ada1)		
<WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82>	at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,ada2)		
<WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82>	at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,ada3)		
<WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82>	at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass5,ada4)		
<WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82>	at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass6,ada5)

I have 1 SanDisk SSD (Boot) and 6 x 3 TB WD Red drives.
Might be a dumb question, but why does one show up as ATA WDC and has a target 6?
I have 1 drive connected via a mini SAS port on the mobo (5 SATA ports are taken up by the boot disk and 5 drives).
Does it matter if it is showing up as ATA? If so, Is there something I need to change so that it does not (in the BIOS?).
Should I put the boot drive on the mini SAS? Or it does not matter and it can stay like this?

Dice

Wizard
Anyone have anything good to say about those drives?
If not, I'm calling them toast, shedding a single tear for my lost data and then moving forward with loading my new 6 x 3TB drives in RAIDZ2
and doing all the burn-in/memtest/setup
From the SMART you posted earlier (IIRC) the drives looked just fine.
I'd plug them into the box alone, with the ultimate boot cd and run wdidle3. Naturally, you would search the forums first for a procedure guide.
Then I'd look into doing a burn-in procedure of the drives just to check if they comply. The whole shebang. https://www.google.se/search?q=qwer...sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=qwertymodo+burn+in

I expect them to pass with flying colors.
You could run them as a backup pool of the most important stuff, mirrored.
As far as I'm concerned it is an utter waste to through those drives away.

I'd plug them into the box alone, with the ultimate boot cd and run wdidle3. Naturally, you would search the forums first for a procedure guide.
Then I'd look into doing a burn-in procedure of the drives just to check if they comply. The whole shebang. https://www.google.se/search?q=qwer...sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=qwertymodo+burn+in

As far as I'm concerned it is an utter waste to through those drives away.

Good idea. I even have two open bays in my chassis to hold them. I'm in the process of doing that burn in procedure on my 6 drives now, i can add these to the mix.

So the data is toast, the drives (possibly) live on.

As far as I'm concerned it is an utter waste to through those drives away.[/QUOTE

What is the intent with wdidle3 here? Anything I find after a quick look is regarding the head parking issue with greens (and reds) and the load cycle counts.

Dice

Wizard
That is what is used to prolong the life of Greens in 24/7 operation.

I realize, while I'm in the middle of my 24 hour memtest, that I am keeping 1 HDD as a cold spare.
But I was planning to leave it untouched in the box in mint condition.

Should I be doing a short test, conveyance, long test on it and then put it back in the box?
Badblocks?

Or just leave it as is?

Dice

Wizard
Every drive intended for use should be burned in. I suggest you do that drive too, so you know it is not a DOA or ...exhibit any signs cause for worries.

Can I go through all my configuration steps/setup while badblocks is running?
Or should I wait until it is finished?

Dice

Wizard
Can I go through all my configuration steps/setup while badblocks is running?
Or should I wait until it is finished?
Run badblocks before creating pool.
Any other sorts of GUI related settings can be set.

Holy cow, badblocks takes a LONG time to run.
WD 3TB Red, 44 hours in.
Please finish! (clean of course)

In GUI, I'm getting the yellow warning: "Firmware version 10 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr0. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware"...so...am i reading the threads correctly, I need to flash to firmware version 11 on the LSI 3008 controller (because of the silly 1 offset is actually = issue)?

Some have a quick walkthrough thread on that?

Dice

Wizard
In GUI, I'm getting the yellow warning: "Firmware version 10 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr0. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware"...so...am i reading the threads correctly, I need to flash to firmware version 11 on the LSI 3008 controller (because of the silly 1 offset is actually = issue)?

This might be real, however I've seen a bug which resembles this recently. Browse forums, maybe you'll find it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In GUI, I'm getting the yellow warning: "Firmware version 10 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr0. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware"...so...am i reading the threads correctly, I need to flash to firmware version 11 on the LSI 3008 controller
Yeah, I think that's it.

There are plenty of them around, but you're better off just consulting the manual for sas3flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.