Your opinion on my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtr2000

Dabbler
I did another change. This SSD was bothering me because it's meant as a cache drive. And the Intel 600p comes with 128GB, is cheaper an got a MUCH better price per GB. I found a guy here in this forum ( @MisterIce ), who posted that this SSD with the Supermicro X11SSH-F worked.

svtr2000

Dabbler
So..
I ordered the parts but the case isn't available here. (I would have to wait around 4 weeks)
Meanwhile I found a pretty good-looking case. The U-NAS 810A has 8 hot swappable HDD trays and supports M-ATX mainboards.
The linked Flex 1U Power Supply only got 350 Watts, but it's linked to the case which supports 8 HDDs as I said.
So shouldn't it be enough?

What do you think about the chassis? Should I use this instead of the Node 804, I think I'd have to wait around the same time for both to arrive.

Nick2253

Wizard
Unless you really need hot swappable features, I would steer you away from it. For home use, hot swappable is pretty much useless in most scenarios, since it's trivial to shut down the server to make disk swaps.

Hot swappable cases typically make a ton of compromises. Airflow around trays sucks, and vibration isolation is terrible, unless you move into much higher grade equipment. Also, you now have a new component to fail (your backplane), and in the event is does fail, it's virtually impossible to replace it; at this price point, you just end up getting a new case.

A particular problem with the U-NAS 810A is that you get zero airflow over the mainboard, other than one tiny ~65mm fan. You also have virtually no clearance for CPU coolers. This significantly limits you to low-power processors. 1U servers are able to make this work, because they move serious air; in this case, you won't be able to achieve this without serious modding.

The Node 804 is a high-quality case that will serve you well. It will provide lots of cooling for your system, and allow you to quiet your system down to reasonable levels. That would be my recommendation.

svtr2000

Dabbler
Thank you =)
When the case eventually arrives, where can I post the build log? I'd like to try that out sometime.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.