First "real" FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Passant

Dabbler
I used Freenas on old hardware, in complete contradiction of everything you advocate. There was no disaster and I feel fortunate, but I still need a constant increase of space.
After years of reflection and dreaming of server grade hardware, it's time to build something worthy of the name.

This NAS is meant to :
  • store family collection of music, films and tvshows
  • backup important family's data
  • be a central node for services (like Syncthing, Crashplan, Deluge, Mysql (for a Kodi DB), Nextcloud, etc.)
  • get some VM
  • have some vdev adds without much works
After reading the hardware recommendations guide, several other build proposal, I've finally chose these parts :

Case : X-Case RM424-EX Pro 24 Bay Hotswap Storage Server Case- Expander Backplane
Motherboard : Supermicro X11SSL-cF
CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5
CPU cooler : Noctua NH-D9L
RAM : Crucial 64GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM (CT7982583)
PSU : Seasonic Prime 1000W Platinum
Boot : Samsung 840 Pro 128 Go (already in hands)
DD : 6 x 6 To Western Digital RED
UPS : APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA
Cable : X-Case eXtra Value Cable 8643-8087 + SB 0,8m

Why an X-Case case and not a Supermicro SC846 Case like ?
It's simple: my NAS will be in the living room because I have no other location for it.
So it must be relatively silent and I think Supermicro Case can not respond to this constraint.
Moreover, as I live in Europe, the Supermicro Case are very difficult to obtain.
Conversely, it seems to me from the videos that I could see that the X-Case RM424 is relatively quiet and it seems as well built and is definitely simpler to get for a lower shipping cost, even if it's not the level of a Supermicro case.

Xeon E3-1240 V5 or V6 ?
V5 version seems more and more difficult to obtain, but can a v6 version can be put without any problems, without upgrading the Bios (or UEFI) on a X11SSL-cF ?
Can we flash an X11SSL-cF without any CPU connected ?

Concerning the PSU :
Is the PSU sufficient or too important, as in a long term, this server will contain 24 DD ?
Here and there articles talk about how to ascertain a good PSU, but even with this I confess that I chose a 1000W PSU by default and not in a thoughtful way.
Gold or Platinum PSU ? Is taking a Platinum PSU justified ?

And finally, the UPS : a particular contraindication regarding this model for use with FreeNAS ?

Thanks in advance for your help, comments and tips on my choices.
And sorry but, GoogleTrad is one of my friend as I have some difficulty to write in English (only writing or speaking, reading is not much a bother).

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
So it must be relatively silent and I think Supermicro Case can not respond to this constraint.
True, the Supermicro rack chassis are not designed for low noise.
And finally, the UPS : a particular contraindication regarding this model for use with FreeNAS ?
None that I can see--it should work fine.
This is almost certainly excessive--32 GB would be plenty for what you're describing, and 16 GB would probably be fine. I would use 16 GB DIMMs to give yourself the headroom, but I wouldn't buy all that RAM at this point.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It looks like a fine setup. If you can obtain the older CPU at a reasonable price, take that because of the possibility that the new model will not work without flashing the BIOS. You must have a CPU installed to update your system firmware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Le Passant

Dabbler
This is almost certainly excessive--32 GB would be plenty for what you're describing, and 16 GB would probably be fine. I would use 16 GB DIMMs to give yourself the headroom, but I wouldn't buy all that RAM at this point.
Oops, an error on my part: the kit consists of only 2 RAM and not 4, so "only" 32Go and not 64Go.
After many thoughts, I've decided to cut by half but I forgot to change my draft before cutting/pasting it here.
I had also thought to reduce to 16Go, but I told myself that I could afford it even if it does not seem very useful in the immediate future.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. The gold rated PSU is likely adequate. Platinum rated models tend to be much more expensive. If you don't mind the extra cost, it would be slightly more efficient and may contain better components.

Le Passant

Dabbler
It looks like a fine setup. If you can obtain the older CPU at a reasonable price, take that because of the possibility that the new model will not work without flashing the BIOS. You must have a CPU installed to update your system firmware.

Damn, I thought there was progress on this level. Okay, so I will stay on the V5.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There is a good possibility that the system board you get will have an old firmware and need to be updated. I always do that first.

Le Passant

Dabbler
PS. The gold rated PSU is likely adequate. Platinum rated models tend to be much more expensive. If you don't mind the extra cost, it would be slightly more efficient and may contain better components.

199,95€ for the Gold model and 249,95€ for the Platinum. An extra of 50€ on a final bill of around 3000€ : I will get the Platinum.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Same model UPS that I use and it works great. You can use the monitoring cable that comes with the UPS to allow FreeNAS to shutdown gracefully when the power fails and the UPS module in FreeNAS has worked perfectly for me. If I recall correctly, the UPS software in FreeNAS will also signal the UPS to shutdown when the NAS is done with it's shutdown.

Inxsible

Guru
Xeon E3-1240 V5 or V6 ?
V5 version seems more and more difficult to obtain, but can a v6 version can be put without any problems, without upgrading the Bios (or UEFI) on a X11SSL-cF ?
Can we flash an X11SSL-cF without any CPU connected ?
It's not too difficult to update the BIOS. All it takes is either
  1. $20 to upgrade the BIOS via the IPMI OR
  2. A FreeDOS usb boot stick
I have done this on all my boards and never had any problems.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's not too difficult to update the BIOS.
It is if your CPU isn't recognized because it's too new. Though the upgrade via IPMI should still work.

Le Passant

Dabbler
It's not too difficult to update the BIOS. All it takes is either
  1. $20 to upgrade the BIOS via the IPMI OR
  2. A FreeDOS usb boot stick
I have done this on all my boards and never had any problems.
It is not a question of difficulty, but of possibility : on many consumer grade MB, you have to plug an old CPU recognized by the Bios, flash it and plug your new CPU.
I always have cold sweat when I flash any Bios (even if it is really easy), but I will not have another CPU with this MB. So if it is not possible I will be quite sad.
Did you flash your Bios without any CPU or with a not recognized CPU ?

It is if your CPU isn't recognized because it's too new. Though the upgrade via IPMI should still work.
With this (in the first half of the video) ?

Inxsible

Guru
Did you flash your Bios without any CPU or with a not recognized CPU ?
Yes. My Tyan S5533 came with BIOS v1.00 and it needed V1.01 to support Haswell-R CPUs. I updated the BIOS without having a Haswell CPU.

ChriZ

Patron
Don't know how Tyan motherboards handle this, but AFAIK, Supermicros won't boot with unsupported CPUs, so updating BIOS with such is not possible
You will need to pay the $20 license to do it via IPMI.
So yes, v6 CPUs are indeed an option, just keep in mind that if the motherboard does not have updated BIOS, you will have to spend that extra $20.

Inxsible

Guru
Don't know how Tyan motherboards handle this, but AFAIK, Supermicros won't boot with unsupported CPUs, so updating BIOS with such is not possible
So yes, v6 CPUs are indeed an option, just keep in mind that if the motherboard does not have updated BIOS, you will have to spend that extra $20.
Tyan S5533 also had the update BIOS from IPMI option. And it was included in the price of the board. No additional surcharge.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I tried to buy the license to activate BIOS update through the IPMI on my systems and wasn't able to find anyone that could sell it.

Le Passant

Dabbler
Hum, it is a bit frightening and my search on the Internet are not really usefull.

I find a french supplier but it is theft (27€ without taxes -_-).

But I find Wiredzone (as listed here) for only $22 (around 19€) AND they can sell worldwide.
It seems really simple to get the key : command, send an e-mail with the BMC MAC Address of the MB and they give the key in the reply within a day.

With it I will certainly go on the v6 road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.