Newbie here (please help to decide guys!)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi, can you please advice what switch would be better for connecting NAS to the home network?
For just a little more investment, you could have one like this that would support four devices at 10Gb in addition to all the 1Gb devices you will probably ever need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aruba-...100-1000-Mobility-Access-Switch-/392212455818

I bought one like that last year, here is one of the many places where I posted about it:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-for-ssd-or-simply-overkill.71587/post-495878

and this is where I posted links to the updates that need to be done to get it working the way mine is working:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/upgrade-recommendations.69981/post-485285

I have my NAS and a couple of computers connected to it at 10Gb and the rest of the devices in my home are using 1Gb. Here are the products I bought to make that work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arista-CAB...sive-Cable-5-Meters-CBL-00006-02/192390222608

The brand matters. I was not able to get Cisco or Intel connectors to work in the switch because it has vendor lockout.

I used a pair of these cards, on in the NAS and one in a Windows workstation, but the cable I got was a Cisco cable and would not work with the Aruba switch. You may be lucky and get a cable you can use.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Mellano...Card-1x-SFP-10G-gigabit-cable-3M/153053070898

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If that is all you want, there isn't anything especially wrong with it. It just doesn't have much to offer. In just a few years, I imagine that all networking will be 10Gb. It is kind of how networking went from 10 to 100 to 1000 over the course of a just a few years, but it took a while before people had a desire to go faster than 1000 (1Gb) because the storage wasn't fast enough to keep up. Now that storage is starting to get there, it can actually be a nice thing to have a faster network. Here is an illustration to help.
This is the speed of a locally connected hard drive in my workstation.
SATA HDD performance.PNG

This is the speed of my network attached drive over my 10Gb network:
iSCSI with SLOG.PNG

If your network is good, the network attached drive can be much better than the local drive, almost as fast as a SSD.

This is the speed of a locally attached SSD in the same workstation:
SATA SSD performance.PNG

l@e

Contributor
[QUOTE="Also how can I access my NAS from my office through internet?[/QUOTE]

That will depend on the kind of subscription you have for internet, also the router you have.

Sometimes the company you work might have put some restrictions on what you can do.

Then it depends what services you need from FN from home.

My best recommendation is to use vpn and not do port forwarding. But still if it will work or not it will depend on company network restrictions. Also if you want to stream movies from home to your work place you have to consider the bandwidth (upload in your home contract and download in your work site).
If you have a normal router at home like the ones isp give for free, that might be a problem becase they don’t usually have vpn support.
Also you will need to have a public ip (best is static but dynamic can work too)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Also how can I access my NAS from my office through internet?
All the things @l@e said are true and that is the reason I totally sipped an answer here. So much depends on what your home network is, but even more depends on the work network. I would never be able to access my NAS from my work network because there are so many layers of security involved. There are commercial websites I can't even go to.
Good luck.

Inxsible

Guru
Another reason of not accessing your home network from your office is to keep your employer from getting something to fire you. Work places usually have network policy wherein trying to circumvent their security procedures is a terminable offense. They also have a code of conduct where accessing private networks is usually prohibited or frowned upon.

Keep your job.

Explorer
If that is all you want, there isn't anything especially wrong with it. It just doesn't have much to offer. In just a few years, I imagine that all networking will be 10Gb. It is kind of how networking went from 10 to 100 to 1000 over the course of a just a few years, but it took a while before people had a desire to go faster than 1000 (1Gb) because the storage wasn't fast enough to keep up. Now that storage is starting to get there, it can actually be a nice thing to have a faster network. Here is an illustration to help.
This is the speed of a locally connected hard drive in my workstation.
View attachment 28199

Actually 1 Gb for me is enough, planning to use it to stare my music dvd's collection, one time it would be better for the faster speed is when I'm gonna copy it from my External HDD's.

Last edited:

Explorer
Another reason of not accessing your home network from your office is to keep your employer from getting something to fire you. Work places usually have network policy wherein trying to circumvent their security procedures is a terminable offense. They also have a code of conduct where accessing private networks is usually prohibited or frowned upon.

Keep your job.

Thank you for the advice, but I'm self employed and it's not a concern for me. At home I have static white IP, at work I need to check it out.
What I'm looking for is how to actually do it, what software to use?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you for the advice, but I'm self employed and it's not a concern for me. At home I have static white IP, at work I need to check it out.
The thing I would suggest then, setup a VPN between the two networks. You can buy routers (or software) that will allow you to create an encrypted PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol) between two locations.
Here is a link that talks about it, but I am not saying this is the one to buy:
https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-vpn/protocols/pptp

Inxsible

Guru
Ok. Well in that case, since you are the owner of both networks, then it changes things. I would agree with Chris here that a private VPN setup is best. But this would depend on the router software that you use and also on which direction you would want the communication. Whether you want to access the home network from work or work network from home or both. Depending on that you will need to set up the correct VPN server/clients and provide routing to each other's networks.

I use pfSense as my router and I setup a private VPN that I can connect to from the outside world. I used this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rQ-Tgt3L18

Of course, if you use a different router software then this would not be relevant to you.

l@e

Contributor
depending on what router you have in office and at home, but the cheapest is to have to 2x mikrotik (pfsense i better but it will need more configs) and setup a IPsec tunnel, there are some guides arount for ipsec or L2tp over ipsec, in any case just dont use plain pptp or l2tp because they are not secure and you gonna end up exposing both networks. just be careful with hardening both peers.

Explorer
Hi Guys, just bought first 3 hdd's for my NAS, WD Red 6 TB, tested it with HDDScan and on all of them I got only 1 red block, is says in the report:
"Block start at 8192 time 677ms". Is this a big deal?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Explorer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I connected my NAS to switch and my PC with Win 7 to switch too, but on my PC it didn't see the network and can't connect to it:(
If you don't have a DHCP server on your network, you will need to manually assign an IP address to the Windows computer also. DHCP or not, both systems need to be in the same IP SubNet or they won't be able to talk to one another. Creating a NAS (Network Attached Storage) presupposes that you know something about Networking.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
also my internet router is connected to switch too
Is the router handing out IP addresses by DHCP and what range are those IP addresses in?

Explorer
Is the router handing out IP addresses by DHCP and what range are those IP addresses in?

for some reason can't access the router GUI and there is no internet, but access the switch GUI and it says:
DHCP settings---Disabled
IP Address 192.168.0.1
Subnet MAsk 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 0.0.0.0.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
just changed it manually to static 192.168.1.7, but still have a problem.
This is a problem...
for some reason can't access the router GUI and there is no internet, but access the switch GUI and it says:
DHCP settings---Disabled
IP Address 192.168.0.1
You are showing the NAS to be on 1.7 and the switch to be on 0.1 that is two different subnets. If your desktop is accessing the switch, they must be on the same subnet, but if you can't access the router, which would usually be the thing handing out addresses, then the computer must be on the wrong subnet (as far as the router is concerned.
This is all network configuration, I am pretty sure.
The first step is to find out what address the router is using so you can get everything else on the same IP range.
You want everything to have a starting address range of 192.168.1.x where I have that .1.x you could use 0 or 1 but they all need to match and the last spot where I put x, each thing needs to be different. Usually the router will be on 1 and everything else will count up from there.
Subnet MAsk 255.255.255.0
That should be fine.
Default gateway 0.0.0.0.
This needs to point at the address for the inside port of the router. A router will usually have an outside port address that is connected to the internet and an inside port address that is connected to your LAN.

Explorer
UPD just changed the IP on the switch to 192.168.1.1 and right now I have internet connection and connection to the router GUI