New Home FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryau

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm looking at building a FreeNAS after my Seagate NAS died. I've picked the following hardware so far. Any issues/suggestions, anything I'm missing? I'm not looking at super high performance, more for a quiet, not too power hungry system for a reasonable price. This is only going to be used to store my family photos, videos, files, etc. I might expend on the storage later, currently 4TB will be enough to start off with.

Thanks...

garm

Wizard
Never heard of that power supply. I wouldn’t use anything other then Seasonic, basically you want silky smooth power for your NAS.

The board isn’t server grade. Get a board with ECC RAM support and a Intel C chipset. You don’t need the latest generation gear as this is a relatively low powered NAS.

jerryau

Cadet
Never heard of that power supply. I wouldn’t use anything other then Seasonic, basically you want silky smooth power for your NAS.

The board isn’t server grade. Get a board with ECC RAM support and a Intel C chipset. You don’t need the latest generation gear as this is a relatively low powered NAS.

Thanks for your feedback @garm. I've changed the following:

Does that look OK?

garm

Wizard
You won’t need much power for this system so go with the smallest and cheapest Seasonic you can get your hands on. The Focus 550W is plenty.

Motherboard looks good now although the price went up a bit :/ if you are able to find a 1150 board they might be cheaper.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RAM: Kingston KTH PL421 8G 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz ECC REGHP
That sounds like registered memory, which will not work on any LGA115x system. You need UDIMMs.

jerryau

Cadet
That sounds like registered memory, which will not work on any LGA115x system. You need UDIMMs.

@Ericloewe Thanks for picking that up. I've changed the RAM to Kingston KVR21E15D8/8 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 ECC CL15 DIMM 2Rx8 for Intel Xeon E3 series (https://www.umart.com.au/Kingston-K...IMM-2Rx8-for-Intel-Xeon-E3-series_35865G.html) which is on the supported memory list for the motherboard.

Do you think the CPU will be fine, even though it's not on the supported CPU list (https://www.asus.com/au/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/P10S-I/HelpDesk_CPU)? Or should I go for the Intel Celeron G3930 LGA 1151 2.9GHz CPU?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
go with the smallest and cheapest Seasonic you can get your hands on. The Focus 550W is plenty.
The only thing to watch out for is that the smaller Seasonics come with limited SATA power cables. I have one, and so far, have not found a way to get more short of making them, buying one of the color-matching gamer sets which cost as much as the power supply, or buying another power supply. Seasonic did not respond to email about it, and their web store did not list additional cables.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.