Newbie here (please help to decide guys!)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Nice. I've actually been on the prowl for one of those.
They have been going fast, really fast, on eBay. There was a seller that listed 6 of them up as NEW last week and they are all gone now. The ones that are still listed are priced way to high.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Would you reccomend to shuck it and get this wd whites(people write that it's most likely insdo those externals) to build a NAS?
Or go with original idea of 6*6 wd reds?
Someone else pointed this deal out earlier this morning. I was seriously tempted, but I am just not ready to spend for it right now. If you are, this is a really good price per terabyte.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Explorer
A couple of noob questions guys:
1. Do I need UPS in case power goes off or not?
2. I'm planning to connect my NAS via lan cable to my home PC, do I need to buy 2nd ethernet card to put in my PC?

IQless

Contributor
1. Do I need UPS in case power goes off or not?
An unexpected power loss can have weird impacts on FreeNAS (and many other operating systems).
If the power goes out during a write operation, the system might not want to start again, or even worse it could corrupt files.
UPS is not required, but it is highly recommended.

2. I'm planning to connect my NAS via lan cable to my home PC, do I need to buy 2nd ethernet card to put in my PC?
Most people connect the NAS to a switch, along with everything else. That would make it accessible for your PC, but this depends on how your computer is connected to your LAN today.

You can ofc install another NIC in your computer if you want to connect directly to the NAS.

Arwen

MVP
Let's be very clear, ZFS was specifically designed to handle graceless power offs, (or OS crashes), without data loss. That's one result of Copy On Write, (COW). If the transaction is not complete, you loose the data in flight. But not any existing data.

That said, people with hardware RAID controllers, (not recommended with ZFS), can experience data loss due to the LUN not supporting write barriers properly. Further, unknown disk errors can be found after a crash or reboot, even if you scrub your data. (There is discussion of adding read verify after write as an option to ZFS.)

IQless

Contributor
Let's be very clear, ZFS was specifically designed to handle graceless power offs, (or OS crashes), without data loss. That's one result of Copy On Write, (COW). If the transaction is not complete, you loose the data in flight. But not any existing data.
I stand corrected, thanks :)

Explorer
Hi Chris, just got all the hardware for my NAS except HDD's:)

I have a couple of questions:

1) I bought only one RAM 16 GB right now and put it in the first slot (see attached pics), is this the right slot to put it?
2) Also I put sas controller on the motherboard (also on the attached pics), did I put it in the right slot? Also on the sas controller there is 4 pin connector, do I need to connect it to power or just leave it(sorry for the noob questions:)
3) Also 3 coolers in the case are 3 pin, and on motherboard is only 4 pin connectors, I read that I can connect this 3 pins to 4 pin on the motherboard, but the coolers would be running 24/7, how can I fix it?
4) The case have 2 USB 3.0, but the mother board have only USB 2.0 ports, maybe there is some kind of converter from sata to USB 3.0?
5) Power supply have only 2 cables with 3 power sata connectors and 1 cable with 3 old ata power connectors. As far as I see I need 9 sata power connectors(6 hdds+2 ssd's+ 1 power for the case). So I need to buy another cable with 3 power sata connectors? Please advice. and thanks for your help:)

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_231217.jpg
    IMG_20190129_231217.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20190129_231246.jpg
    IMG_20190129_231246.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 316

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I bought only one RAM 16 GB right now and put it in the first slot (see attached pics), is this the right slot to put it?
If you have a look at the quick reference, it only shows configurations with memory modules in pairs.

The full manual indicates that using pairs of modules is recommended because it, "will result in interleaved memory, which will improve memory performance."

It should work with just one module, and DIMM1A is the slot you should use first.

The quick reference guide:
https://www.supermicro.com/QuickRefs/motherboard/C606_602/QRG-1317.pdf

The full system board manual:
https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C606_602/MNL-1317.pdf
Also I put sas controller on the motherboard (also on the attached pics), did I put it in the right slot?
You have options and this is fine.
Also on the sas controller there is 4 pin connector, do I need to connect it to power or just leave it
No. The SAS controller gets power from the system board through the card edge connector. The cards I have experience with have two of the 4 pin headers and one is for connecting drive activity LEDs and the other is for serial data but you don't need to do anything with those.
Also 3 coolers in the case are 3 pin, and on motherboard is only 4 pin connectors, I read that I can connect this 3 pins to 4 pin on the motherboard, but the coolers would be running 24/7, how can I fix it?
The fans should run all the time to keep the hard drives cool, but it looks like you have the CPU cooler installed backward.
The case have 2 USB 3.0, but the mother board have only USB 2.0 ports, maybe there is some kind of converter from sata to USB 3.0?
You can probably pickup an adapter to connect the USB 3.0 ports to a USB 2.0 header, but there is no real need for USB.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-20...9-pin-Female-Adapter-Short-Cable/332463592592
Power supply have only 2 cables with 3 power sata connectors and 1 cable with 3 old ata power connectors. As far as I see I need 9 sata power connectors(6 hdds+2 ssd's+ 1 power for the case). So I need to buy another cable with 3 power sata connectors? Please advice. and thanks for your help
These power distributors are very good quality:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3X-IDE-Mol...in-SATA-Power-Adapter-cable-cord/231461299419

Explorer
The fans should run all the time to keep the hard drives cool, but it looks like you have the CPU cooler installed backward.

Do you mean the fan or the radiator with the fan?

Thank you very much once again for your help:)
I'm a little scared to plug it in the first time, that's why I have those questions.

Explorer

Also just finished the power management, can you please look at the pics, thank you:)

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_182149.jpg
    IMG_20190130_182149.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20190130_182229.jpg
    IMG_20190130_182229.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 296

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
On the CPU cooler, the normal airflow is in the direction of the arrow I drew in there, so it looks like the whole assembly is mounted backward.
However, it is possible for the fan to be flipped around to blow the other direction, and from this distance, it is difficult for me to tell with certainty.
Like I said, it absolutely can be mounted either way around, and the fan can be flipped, so I am only suggesting that you double check this.

1548867917821.png

When I get home tonight I can get a photo of how I have my CPU cooler installed.

Explorer
On the CPU cooler, the normal airflow is in the direction of the arrow I drew in there, so it looks like the whole assembly is mounted backward.
However, it is possible for the fan to be flipped around to blow the other direction, and from this distance, it is difficult for me to tell with certainty.
Like I said, it absolutely can be mounted either way around, and the fan can be flipped, so I am only suggesting that you double check this.

View attachment 28096

When I get home tonight I can get a photo of how I have my CPU cooler installed.
I put it this way because the title "Dynatron", if I put it the other way, the title would be upside down, and it was strange to me:)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I put it this way because the title "Dynatron", if I put it the other way, the title would be upside down, and it was strange to me:)
I get that, but they were not putting that on there to show orientation because these are normally mounted in a server where very few people will ever see it and many servers are mounted horizontally instead of vertically.
The regular airflow direction and fan position also helps to keep the VRM modules cool. They are directly behind the processor.

pro lamer

Guru
The regular airflow direction
It might be worth mentioning: the regular airflow through the whole case is usually from front to back.

Edit: and mounting a CPU fan against that direction may disturb airflow and worsen cooling effect.

Sent from my phone

Explorer
I get that, but they were not putting that on there to show orientation because these are normally mounted in a server where very few people will ever see it and many servers are mounted horizontally instead of vertically.
The regular airflow direction and fan position also helps to keep the VRM modules cool. They are directly behind the processor.

I see, OK, so I'll unscrew whole unit (cooler and radiator) and put it the other way around. Thanks:)

Explorer

Hi, can you please advice what switch would be better for connecting NAS to the home network?
I'm looking on this one right now:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...foid=1092646.1187656&foc=1&fot=9999&fos=1$url

Also how can I access my NAS from my office through internet?

Thanks in advance :)