Network speed slows when NAS is connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmofo

Explorer
I have a 15+mb connection that generally works fine. I own my own Motorola 3.0 modem. I am using FreeBSD based PF sense as a router, and a gigabit switch to connect everything. Lately I will find that my connection on both the LAN and my WAN connection speed will drop to somewhere around 1mb or even lower like 0.2 mb. If I disconnect the FreeNAS in the middle of the speed test, the speed will instantly rebound. I thought it might be my switch so I tried another one. The cable is run though the wall so I haven't tested that yet.

Any idea why the NAS would have connectivity, yet slow the network down even when its not doing anything important?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm using PFsense is pretty much an identical setup to what you describe.

The possibilities I can come up with off the top of my head:

1. pfsense is misconfigured and causing some conflict with the FreeNAS server.
2. The FreeNAS server is somehow misconfigured and it's screwing with your LAN
3. Maybe FreeNAS is uploading/downloading data at the time you do the tests?

I won't lie, I've had abnormally slow internet speeds that I can't explain. I did noticed that there was a 12 hour period where I had no FreeNAS box running at all and I didn't have the problem. But my ISP is doing nasty things with their infrastructure the last few months, so I don't know what is to blame and I haven't tried to investigate it further.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
pfSense user here, as well. Nothing abnormal here that could possibly correlate with FreeNAS (though 100Mb/s up and 8Mb/s down would mask some issues, there's no logical reason for any WAN activity from the FreeNAS server).

Status
Not open for further replies.