SOLVED Beware of long ethernet runs and regularly check link speeds, a basic gigabit introduction

ccdff

Dabbler
This isn't a question, but more of a cautionary tail. I want to post this as a "thank you" for the community, since it basically is the reason I have a job. I'll make this a first time user friendly post, since we all started that way. A basic gigabit network introduction.

If you are asking yourself any of the following questions, I might have an answer:
- Why are my transfer speeds stuck at 10 MB/s?
- Why are my transfer speeds stuck at 100 Mb/s?
- Why are my transfers being dropped?
- Why can't I see my NAS on my computer?

You need to understand what a "link speed" is. Probably you are most familiar with it when selecting your ISP. The up and download rate are your link speed "to the ISP". 50 up and 10 down, maybe more, maybe less. Not only is this happening between your modem and the ISP, but also between every device on your network. When you connect 2 devices with ethernet, they negotiate a link speed. During the negotiation process, the network cards will exchange information about their capabilities and determine the highest link speed that both devices are able to support. They will then establish the connection at that speed. If one of the devices is unable to support the highest speed that the other device is capable of, the connection will be established at a lower speed that is supported by both devices. Our goal is that ALL the links between your PC and NAS are 1 Gb/s, 1000 Mb/s or about 120 MB/s. While most ZFS Volumes are capable of more, the network cards are only 1 Gb/s.

Now since you know the basics, let's get into troubleshooting:

First and foremost, it is important to always check what type of cable you are using. Different types of cables have different capabilities and characteristics, and using the wrong type can lead to connectivity issues and other problems. Make sure to choose the right cable for your needs, whether it be coaxial, twisted pair, or fiber optic. Read this for more clarity.

Be sure to check the link speeds of all of your devices and make sure that they are all compatible. If necessary, consider upgrading older devices to newer models that are capable of operating at higher speeds. On truenas first go to your dashboard. Under "Interface", you will see one or more ethernet cables. Make sure they all have a "Media Subtype" of 1000baseT or higher. This is our 1000 Mb/s transfer.

This next part is tricky, since every network has a different layout. Follow your ethernet cable. When coming to a switch, check if the connection is also 1000 Mb/s or 1Gb/s. This is usually indicated by blinking lights. If you are unsure if your switch support 1 Gb/s, type your model number into duckduckgo.com (or google).

If your target PC does not have a GUI, then use the command ifconfig. You'll see a output similar to:
TrueNASspeed.png

Also make sure that 1000baseT is shown at your desired interface.

Finally, it is important to regularly recheck the link speeds of your devices to ensure that they are still operating at optimal levels. Network conditions can change over time, and it is possible for the link speeds of your devices to degrade or become unstable. By regularly checking and rechecking your link speeds, you can identify and address any issues that may be impacting the performance of your network. New routes, constructions, new equipment etc.

I hope this helps, have fun not paying thousands of dollars in cloud storage and knowing where your data is.
ccdff