Only getting 5mb/s with gigabit ethernet

fishe

Dabbler
Hello!
I have an HP Z640 that I am using on TrueNAS as a server, with a Xeon E5-2680 V4, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and a gigabit ethernet card. I am using cloudflare tunneling to bring the server online as I cannot currently port-forward.
I first tried using Filestash with a MinIO S3 backend, and transfer speeds were only reaching 5 megabytes per second maximum while being right next to the server. I then tried Nextcloud, also via cloudflare tunneling, and it does not go above 5mb/s read or write either. I have never used or managed my own server prior to this and I need some help to figure out where the source of the problem is and how I can get better speeds from this server.
Could it be cloudflare capping data that goes through its tunnel? Could it be my ISP bottlenecking it somehow?

Best wishes and many thanks in advance,
Collin

NugentS

MVP
What gigabit network card?
Also what Internet upload / download do you have?

fishe

Dabbler
What gigabit network card?
Also what Internet upload / download do you have?
The network card is an Intel Ethernet I210-T1. From the server itself I can get about 900mbit/s down and 100mbit/s uplaod. 100mbit isn't great (thanks Xfinity for being shit) but it shouldn't be 5mb/s bad

NugentS

MVP
What happens locally?
From workstation to server - is that OK. What does iperf say when you run a network test from a worstation to the server across cable - not wireless
Whats your home network like - how is it organised? Wireless / Wired? Whats the connection from the server to the router?

Also, using fio what speed are the disks running at?

How are you getting the 5mb/s - what app is measuring that?

fishe

Dabbler
What happens locally?
From workstation to server - is that OK. What does iperf say when you run a network test from a worstation to the server across cable - not wireless
Whats your home network like - how is it organised? Wireless / Wired? Whats the connection from the server to the router?

Also, using fio what speed are the disks running at?

How are you getting the 5mb/s - what app is measuring that?
The 5mb/s is measured through Nextcloud which is currently all I have running on the server. If I go through the LAN IP address to access Nextcloud, upload speed increases to about 60mb/s which is definitely an improvement but still falls far short of what the hardware should be capable of. Maybe the hard drive could be a bottleneck? It is a 4TB WD something or other at 5400rpm. I have yet to try running iperf because I am unsure how, as with fio, for which I send my apologies and hopes that the above information is enough for the moment.

Apologies for the (severely) late response,
Collin