Freenas external speed very slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Palmgård

Dabbler
Slow ftp upload / download and cifs over vpn.
Hi i got a wierd problem... If i connect to my freenas server internally i get expected speeds over both cifs and ftp but if i go external the upload limit is around 2 MB/s from a 10 MB/s connection.

If i access the same share using a ftp from windows server 2012 ( same share tho ftp just redirect to freenas i get expected speed 10mb/s) Same with my vpn if i connect to my Domain server and copy a file to i i get 10 MB/s while if i enter my nas i get 2-3 MB/s.

Ideas ?

Specs are:
Vmvare 5.5
Intel 3820
10gb ram ( Will extend tomorrow to 20 GB )
LSI 9211 - IT mode Passthrough
3x3TB - RaidZ1
4x3TB - RaidZ1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, for starters you need to clarify what was MB and what was Mb. There is no mb unit, so I can't give you any advice until you start using proper units for data transfer.

gpsguy

If you are VPNning from a residential connection, you probably don't have 10Mbps upload capability.

Try running speed tests on your lines. In the US, I use
speedtest.net

Sent from my phone

Anton Palmgård

Dabbler
Well, for starters you need to clarify what was MB and what was Mb. There is no mb unit, so I can't give you any advice until you start using proper units for data transfer.

My connection is 100 Mb/s ( 10MB/s ) Which in speed tranlates to 2-3 MB/s to the freenas ( Just noticed if i start several file ( 3 for example they will all be 2-3 Mb/s) So the speed problem is / transfer.

Freenas end has 1000 Mb/s (100MB/s)

Anton Palmgård

Dabbler
If you are VPNning from a residential connection, you probably don't have 10Mbps upload capability.

Try running speed tests on your lines. In the US, I use
speedtest.net

Sent from my phone

As i said if i connect to another server over VPN i get full speed 10MB/s

The server has a Gbit internet connection so i would be nice to have some use of it..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you appear to be virtualizing FreeNAS. That adds a whole lot of complexity. All I can say is "good luck".

c32767a

Patron
As i said if i connect to another server over VPN i get full speed 10MB/s

The server has a Gbit internet connection so i would be nice to have some use of it..

To even begin to suggest where to look, we'd need a lot more details. Like a network diagram and topology, along with the IP addresses of the devices that work and the ones that are slow.

To save us all some heartache, connect a device to the same switch and IP subnet as the FreeNAS box and try your I/O tests to FreeNAS from there. if that performs slowly, there may be something on the FreeNAS to troubleshoot. If that performs as expected, then the problem is located somewhere in your network and is likely outside the scope of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.