SOLVED Very Slow Reading Speed over LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliano Copoli

Dabbler
Hello,

I am having problems reading from my FreeNAS 9.10.2 thru FTP or CIFS(Samba);
At my 100MBps LAN my read speed is ~130kb/s... but my write speed is 10mb/s.

I have 4x 500GB @ RAID-2Z.

I copied some files over the local disk and the speed is ok:
sent 312,554,293 bytes received 161 bytes 125,021,781.60 bytes/sec

But I can't read the files over the network... any ideas?

When I assembled this machine (~2months ago) the speeds was great.... last week my disks got full... I cleaned it... now I can't read anything faster than 100-130kb/s over the network..

I did a factory restore on the configuration to try... and still having the same problem.

I copied the same files twice over Samba... both times i got ~150kb/s (it´s a 1,6mb file).

FTP is slow the same way.

Any ideas? how to debug?

Thanks

nojohnny101

Wizard
What is the fragmentation on the pool?

"zpool list"

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hmm. Well the reason I asked about fragmentation was because you mentioned that your pool got full, then you deleted some files to free up space.

What NIC were you previously using? Realteks are notoriously bad.

Juliano Copoli

Dabbler
Hmm. Well the reason I asked about fragmentation was because you mentioned that your pool got full, then you deleted some files to free up space.

What NIC were you previously using? Realteks are notoriously bad.

I never replaced the NIC... it was working fine with this Realtek nic.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Yea that is the thing though, a Realtek can be working fine one minute and then flake out the next. Just being honest with you, but when people complain about speed problems involving the network, the first question most people ask on here is what NIC are you using? If the person answers Realtek then the troubleshooting doesn't continue until the NIC is replaced.

Juliano Copoli

Dabbler
Yea that is the thing though, a Realtek can be working fine one minute and then flake out the next. Just being honest with you, but when people complain about speed problems involving the network, the first question most people ask on here is what NIC are you using? If the person answers Realtek then the troubleshooting doesn't continue until the NIC is replaced.

Im waiting the Intel PRO to arrived..

I always used realtek on windows/linux machines without problem :(

I will reply when new nic got installed.

Thankz so for nojohnny

gpsguy

How full is the pool now?

As a side note, I would upgrade to a gigabit network. You can buy an inexpensive Ethernet switch for under $20 USD.

Juliano Copoli

Dabbler
Pool is +50% free now..

I have gigabit switch.. but some stations are 10/100... my servers are 10/100/1000.

gpsguy

Glad to hear that the problem has been resolved. Please mark the thread as "Solved".

Status
Not open for further replies.