Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaaphod

Contributor
I did find a post on NAS4Free about this error. Here's the link

http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1702

Here are two quotes that seem to offer solutions:

Ok, I seem to have found a fix. The problem seems to be with SMB signing:

When SMB signing is enabled on both the client and server, SMB sessions are authenticated between the machines on a packet by packet basis. This does have a performance hit of between 10 to 15% as every packet's signature has to be verified.

I disabled SMB signing on my win 7 and 8 clients. By setting the values of the registry keys: EnableSecuritySignature and RequireSecuritySignature to 0 (zero) in the the following registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

This worked for me. I believe you can switch of SMB signing on the server side instead by passing an extra parameter to the SMB daemon, but I could not find a parameter which worked.

(I am on an Intel NIC)

This sounds like it would be helpful to look into, I do not need packet by packet authentication, I don't really need any authentication at all actually... I can try the registry thing, but it seems like it would be more reliable and a lot less work to switch the SMB signing on the server side... instead of every single client... so question... how would I do this on FreeNas?

and

Btw, as topic starter, i want to say, that my problem is solved.

I did 2 things, but I don't know which of them was the reason of success:

1. I've set "Enable Asynchronous I/O"

2. I found that MTU on my NAS NIC was set to very big value (9014), but I know that my router couldn't work with MTU more than 1450 or something about it. So, I've found the maximum possible MTU (by pinging my windows comp from NAS with command ping -D -s <MTU size> <WinCompIp>) and set it on NAS with command ipconfig <NIC> MTU <MTU size>

After I've done it, my copying and working with big files was done without any problem.

Hope, it could be usefull for somebody else.

What is asynchronous I/O and is this relevant to FreeNAS? is this on the client or the server? I obviously do not know what this refers to.

Are the instructions for the MTU size relevant to FreeNAS? or is this something just for NAS4Free?

NoTalent

Dabbler

Zaaphod

Contributor
Thanks for the info and the link.. it looks like I want this section:
client signing (G)

This controls whether the client is allowed or required to use SMB
signing. Possible values are auto, mandatory and disabled.

When set to auto, SMB signing is offered, but not enforced. When
set to mandatory, SMB signing is required and if set to disabled,
SMB signing is not offered either.

Default: client signing = auto

Client signing = disabled should do it.

I found the file I need is /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf

Whats the best way to edit this with FreeNas? Normally when I need to edit these on other Linux computers, I just do it a network share on my windows computer so I can use a real editor (I like notepad ++) I'm not sure how to share the system folders on FreeNas. Any suggestions?

I've been looking through the network section of the GUI and don't see the MTU size. I think I might have to change it though because I tested it with ping 192.168.0.1 -f -l 1450 on my windows computer and it fails at 1500, It's good at 1460.. but I think 1500 is the default.

gpsguy

I wouldn't manually edit the files. They may be overwritten with a restart and/or software update.

I believe you can change the SMB settings using the 'Auxiliary Parameters string only available in “Advanced Mode"'. See -
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html#windows-cifs-shares

For MTU, you can set it using an option on the interface. See - http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_network.html#interfaces

I found both of these settings by searching my offline (PDF) copy of the documentation. You can download it using a link in my signature file.

Zaaphod

Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions and the link.. especially for the link to the offline PDF documentation, I've been tried to find that several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.