Accessing FreeNAS from another home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiboman

Cadet
Hi,

I have 2 broadband networks here at home (1 for business 1 for family ) how can I access my Freenas server from both networks ?

I have installed FreeNAS onto my HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 and that has 2 x lan cards , I have lan one plugged into my business network and that network can see my FreeNAS and I ave plugged a cable from my other network into the LAN port on my server

When i boot up Freenas on the Gen 8 in now comes up with 2 IP addresses the first one is the one I access from my Business network and the i presumed would be the IP address of the other network ? but when i try to access Freenas from one of the computers on my home network it will not go into FreeNAS it just says its timed out

So what am I doing wrong ?

Aiboman

Cadet
When I run the network troubleshooter its saying the ip address is online but not responding to connection attempts

danb35

Hall of Famer
the first one is the one I access from my Business network and the i presumed would be the IP address of the other network
Why do you "presume" this? Why don't you know? If you're going to have the FreeNAS box on both networks, they should occupy different address ranges. This should make it obvious which network each address belongs to.

Aiboman

Cadet
thanks for the reply danb35 I only presume that as when I switch my FreeNAS box on (HP Gen8 Microserver ) it lists 2 IP addresses as I thought that was because I has connected 2 lan cables one from each of my networks into the 2 LAN ports on my server

When I go to a web browser on a machine on my business network and enter 1 of the IP addresses that Freenas is showing I can access the FreeNAS front end , so I did yes just presume that the other IP address listed on the start up screen was for the other network that was connected to the 2nd LAN port of my server

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.