9.3.1 - multiple lags / vlans / subnets and jails (plugins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

master-richie

Dabbler
Just updated from 9.3-stable to 9.3.1-stable and after using a basic FreeNAS config as a mindless file server, I'm ready to put my final config in it so I can securely use it for my home business as well as our personal stuff.

It's in a HP microserver and I slapped an Intel quad port gigabit card in it for a total of 5 Ethernet ports.

What I'd like to do is keep the embedded NIC for vlan1 admin access then split the quad ports into two lags: one leg for the home subnet (vlan 10) and the other for business (vlans 20, 30, 40, 50)

Question 1: should I set the default gateway(s) under the network tab or use static routes to get internet access to the device and its jails? - I use plexmedia server for home and am gonna try to install Kolab in a separate jail for business and they both need outbound internet connections. And of course it would be nice to get updates on FreeNAS itself without having to do it manually, etc ...

Question 2: does 9.3.1 allow multiple vlans over lags to the device or do I need to first route my vlans upstream say in my switch or router? In my case I want to pass vlan 20,30,40,50 over one lag directly to a jail.

Thanks! Rich

master-richie

Dabbler
I haven't moved forward on this yet. I've been spending my time configuring my www devel server while waiting for someone to recommend something for my freenas situation.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
1. I'm not sure it really matters. I would think the default route would be easiest.

2. Yes you can configure multiple vlans per interface (I only tried a NIC, not a LAG). I am not sure how to limit a jail to a specific vlan though. I don't see any option for that in the jail config.

Pheran

Patron
I'm not clear what you expect static routes to buy you but I don't know anything about your network setup. I would just set a default route - just bear in mind that which direction you are pointing default will determine which interface/VLAN gets used for all Internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.