IPMI on VLANs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elegant

Explorer
Hi guys, I recently changed my network around and introduced some VLANs. After getting everything else up and running I realized I forgot to switch the VLAN for my IPMI.

I quickly grabbed IPMICFG and changed my VLAN over as well. For whatever reason, I still cannot access it. The tool confirms that it is indeed on VLAN10 (same VLAN as I trying to reach it from) and a direct connection to my laptop shows that I can no longer access it with static IPs (different VLANs! Good!).

Does anyone know what setting I might be missing? Currently the port on the L2 switch is empty for VLAN1 and marked as "Untagged" for VLAN10.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not an expert on the matter, but if the device (IPMI) is talking on VLAN10, it should be tagging its packets accordingly. The switch might not like seeing the tagged packets when it's expecting untagged packets.

I'd imagine that setting IPMI to no VLAN will solve your problem.

Elegant

Explorer
Thanks! I'm a bit new to this but I hear that using a separate VLAN ID on IPMI is usually the better route. What I was missing was actually Tagging the port, I had it Untagged and your post made that clear!

tvsjr

Guru
It probably would have also worked to disable the tagging on the IPMI side.

With VLANs, you have a few options. The most basic involves statically assigning switchports to specific VLANs. In this instance, you'd set the port to untagged, set its VLAN to 10, and set the IPMI to no VLAN.
Getting slightly more complex, you have VLAN trunking (802.1Q). In this case, you set the switchport to tagged and, optionally, authorize what VLANs are allowed on the port... then set the VLAN on the device. This configuration is common if you have a device that uses multiple VLANs (such as a VM host, where the guests may live in different VLANs), or if you're sharing IPMI on the primary LAN interface and not using the dedicated port.

Status
Not open for further replies.