Lagg link up but no data transfer - 9.3 and Netgear GS724T.V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

master-richie

Dabbler
FreeNAS 9.3 on a HP N40L with 3 nics, a netgear gs724t.v3 switch and Fortigate 60c.

having issues getting a LACP LAGG working on a Broadcom dual port 5720 (Dell branded). LAGG shows active in FreeNAS and the Netgear LAGG status is up but no data is transferring across it ie., I have it set for DHCP and tied to VLAN 10 but no dhcp server is found. If I manually assign an IP and try to ping the router via ssh it says "host is down"

For troubleshooting purposes, I set the LAGG for the default VLAN1 in the switch (untagged), removed VLAN10 in FreeNAS and that doesn't work either, same issues. My assumption is the LAGG indicates up but is not working.

VLAN 1 and VLAN 10 work fine otherwise. (I have multiple subnets (vlans) on my network because I run a business from home and like to keep user types isolated) VLAN1 I use for backend administration of all my infrastructure.

Fyi, the third NIC I'm using as an admin port which is how I access the gui - is set for static IP on the default vlan 1

any ideas?

master-richie

Dabbler
no. I ordered a SUN quad gigabit card from ebay which came today and am trying to install the drivers for it right now. if the Sun card won't work with the netgear, I have a 54xx powerconnect I can borrow to troubleshoot with.

from everything I can find to read, it looks like the Broadcom driver puts the NIC in LACP passive mode and the Netgear is passive without any way to make it active - LACP will establish a link but not work if both endpoints are passive - one has to be an active link negotiator. that's why I was hoping a different chipset would work with the netgear and for $18 it was cheap a enough experiment.

FNSeeker

Dabbler
Under Netgear mgt webpage/ Switching tab/ LAG/ Basic/LAG Configuration:

Did you try specify its LAG type as LACP, not Static?

(Netgear firmware version 5.4.2.18)

master-richie

Dabbler
Under Netgear mgt webpage/ Switching tab/ LAG/ Basic/LAG Configuration:

Did you try specify its LAG type as LACP, not Static?

(Netgear firmware version 5.4.2.18)

Ordered an Intel chipset quad nic card ... put it in, set everything up the same and presto - obviously just bad luck with a minor driver issue via FreeBSD combined with an entry level commercial switch that has limits to its config.

Status
Not open for further replies.