Setting up VLANs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

Just to share my experience with the setup of VLANs.
By the way I installed FreeNAS 8.0 on a Dell PowerVault NX300 (raid controller is PERC H700 and works fine)

So I have 2 NIC :
- bce0 (shared with IDRAC) with 3 vlans (trunk mode on switch)
- bce1 with 1 vlan (untag / access mode on switch)

When I add my 3 VLAN interfaces on the parent bce0, the bce0 disapear and I will see my 3 vlan interfaces. (no surprise)

However the vlan interfaces will not work until I manually add a fake IP directly to bce0 in cli (ex: ifconfig 10.10.10.10 /24) ! After that everything works fine.

It is disturbing because If I reboot FreeNAS , the conf is lost on bce0 and vlans are down (ping: sendto: Host is Down..) until I reconfigure bce0.

If someone have an info about that I will be happu :).

Regards

Ralph

Cadet
So I found a solution here : http://people.freebsd.org/~arved/vlan/vlan_en.html

especially here :

If you want to set up dot1q-Trunking on System startup, you may edit your /etc/rc.conf.
cloned_interfaces="vlan0" #You need a recent STABLE for this else use:
#network_interfaces="lo0 vlan0"
ifconfig_vlan0="inet 128.130.34.35 netmask 255.255.255.128 vlan 34 vlandev xl0"

#Note: If you do not assign an IP Address to your parent device, you need to
#start it explicitly:

ifconfig_xl0="up"

So If you add several vlan like me on a single NIC, just beware to add an IP to the parent !!

Regards,

louis-m

Dabbler
hurrah.....
i thought i was going mad.
in pfsense, (nanobsd) you just set the vlans and assign them to a parent interface.

in freebsd, not so (as you've discovered)
having said that, my re0 interface comes up but ends up with a 0.0.0.0 address.
the vlans work fine off that but there is no re0 showing in the dropdown if you try to add an interface via the gui (only the vlans are listed)
do you add these to your interfaces because mine works fine without although my vlans receive a dhcp lease.
I was wondering how to set them manually via the gui or without reservations on the dhcp server.

Status
Not open for further replies.