Can't access Plex from outside home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobramonkey

Cadet
Long story short, I got a new ISP. New router, new modem. I have everything working on my network except port forwarding for Plex. I have a freenas server running Plex. I can access Plex on my home network. And I can access both the web gui for Freenas and the actual storage destination. Included are the screenshots showing my problem. I do have port forwarding figured out for my Windows desktop running subsonic; it's fully accessible remotely.

Here's my Plex web gui. It successfully retrieves a lan IP, and it even acquires a public IP...
Plex_WebGui_Server_Mapping.JPG

Here's my freenas gui. Notice the IP in the URL bar, and the plexmediaserver IP in the window.

Freenas_IP_Access_And_Jail_IP.JPG

Here's my router gui. I originally tried just adding the server IP as the port forward address, but when that didn't work, I also added the plexmediaserver address. The plexmediaserver doesn't show up as a leased IP in the router though...

Router_Port_Forwarding.JPG

Here's my freenas jail configuration.

Freenas_Jail_Configuration.JPG

Here's my plexmediaserver jail configuration.

Freenas_Plex_Jail_Config_1.JPG
Freenas_Plex_Jail_Config_2.JPG

Please advise, and thanks in advance for any help!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I originally tried just adding the server IP as the port forward address, but when that didn't work, I also added the plexmediaserver address.
Well, that's not going to work. Your router can only forward that port to one destination, and I'd expect it will forward to the first one in the list. Your Plex jail should be the only destination for 32400.
The plexmediaserver doesn't show up as a leased IP in the router though...
That's to be expected, as it isn't picking up its IP via DHCP.

cobramonkey

Cadet
Huh. Well, that was a stupid fix. Deleted the port forward to the server, and just left the one to the plex jail. All systems are green. *Face palm*

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Why? What purpose would this serve? Plex is not SSH. ;)
I agree with pirateghost. Why the hell would this matter at all?

The only ports you need to avoid are well known ports. e.g., FTP or SSH default ports (21 and 22) should not be forwarded since every script kiddie and Russky on the planet will incessant pound your box. But, if the service runs on some crazy port, (say 12345), and the WAN ingress is *ALSO* port 12345, then meh, there's no problem.

Supa

Patron
Just set up a new router and having the same issue. Can't be plex since it was working before. I forgot to look at what ports i had forwarded before lol. I thought I only had to forward 32400 on the plex jail ip

Port Forward:

D5MthZz.png

XiY8DPn.png

Yeah I'm stupid. Firewall was set to:

" Inbound Policy: Reject. "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.