Moving files and folders from client

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
Hi,

I'm connecting to my FreeNAS server using SMB from a Mac. I want to organize the files and folders on the server. However, it appears that when I move folders, it actually attempts to read all the data from the source and copy it to the destination vs just changing the folder's parent on the server side.

Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but I think I've seen file servers that will relocate the folder without the roundtrip of the contents to the client. If this is not possible, then how does one organize server data without it taking a tremendous amount of time?

Do you actually have to run CLI commands on the server?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks. Unless I'm confused (highly likely), the linked page states sevfer side copy is enabled since SMB2, ehich I beleive macOS Sierra supports. If this is true, why would maxOS not support server side copy?
It's a specific feature that needs to be implemented on the client. Windows 7, for instance, supports Server-Side Copy using Robocopy but not Windows Explorer.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
It's a specific feature that needs to be implemented on the client. Windows 7, for instance, supports Server-Side Copy using Robocopy but not Windows Explorer.

Ah, ok.

Given that all my clients are Mac, using SMB is just not ideal. We will be loosing server side copy, the ability to index freenas shares using spotlight, and we're having a lot of problems moving our HFS+ data to Freenas using rsync (locks up with 100% cpu after creating first folder in server).

Status
Not open for further replies.