Move File: Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect

esamett

Patron
"An unexpected error is keeping you from moving the file. If you continue to receive this error you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. "

I started getting this error moving (cut/paste and copy/paste) files from my NAS using Windows explorer/Win7. These are files I did not create so I don't know about the ACL and Permissions of them. I am having trouble figuring out reproducibly the problem. Sometimes it helps to start from the Share to the Root Unix folder of the Volume: This helped me change the permissions on the folder I was trying to move. I had a "need admin" permission error from the windows-type folder. Other files remain problematic. I tried cycling CIFS service and rebooting PC and server.

The problem started a few weeks ago but I have not touched my NAS build. Either I am files with different properties or maybe Windows did some weird update that borked file transfer. I had everything working smoothly until this problem. I have not altered any settings on NAS that I know of, nor have I done any update.

Sign me flummoxed.

esamett

Patron
Addendum:
I got a folder to transfer after shortening some file names and compressing a few subfolders into zip files. Not sure what did the trick though. o_O

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Make sure the UNC path isn't too long. Max UNC path in windows is 260 characters unless you connect via \\?\UNC\<server>\<share>\<path>

Last edited:

esamett

Patron
NOOb:
anodos: please expand or give link explaining: \\?\UNC\
I understand logging in from URL and from share name.

Thanks

texbender

Cadet
Resurrecting an old thread...

I'm getting the same error.
Moved files from a Server 2008 RAID 5 to FreeNAS SMB share using Unstoppable Copier. No errors reported in the move.
Decommissioned Server 2008, Wiped and then reused the drives, reformatted for FreeNAS as a second pool and share.

Now I'm trying to copy the files to the new pool / share (WinDS)

Source UNC path is under 260 characters : \\192.###.##.28\$$$HomeData\~fol\top (# = obscured number, $ = obscured text)

Getting "Unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect."
I'm moving files from one ZFS pool / share to another using Windows 10 as an intermediary I could move files using shell, but I think the permission / ACL got borked somewhere along the way.

Any ideas on what I might do to correct?

texbender

Cadet
So if anyone reads this, I was able to resolve the issue by using the move from the FreeNAS shell and telling it not to copy any permissions. I was then able to set the permissions on the files once transferred.