CIFS Windows permission error on only one file

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnfv

Cadet
Hello, my first post here. I'm a long time IT professional and have a working knowledge of shares/permissions but I’m a noob with freenas. I’m trying freenas (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158) on a desktop system while planning a proper Supermicro based build. My current machine: Asus MB, i5-750 CPU, 16 GB RAM (non ECC), 7 x 2TB raidz volume. My volume is owned by my user/group (same password as Windows) and configured for windows permissions with default mode settings. I do not have a dataset. My CIFS share is setup with default windows permissions (no guest access). I successfully copied thousands of files (mostly audio and video) to the share from Windows 7 clients. However, I have one file (one of several large .avi files) that fails. I can’t see any significant difference in this file (ownership, permissions, size, etc.) and the many others that did copy successfully.
The symptoms are: Windows attempts to copy (it is rougly 25GB so takes a few minutes). From the freenas server I can see the file listed in the directory while it is copying and owned by correct user/group. When Windows finishes copying I get a dialog saying “you require permission from <netbios name>\<my user> to make changes to this folder” and the options are try again or cancel. I can't get past the dialog. The netbios name and user name shown are correct, it is the same user that owns the many files and folders that have copied successfully. I can copy the problem file to other Windows locations, I’ve tried renaming it, copying to different folders in the share, I even deleted and rebuilt my raidz volume from scratch. No matter what I try this one file has the problem yet 66000+ others copied fine.

Any ideas on what the issue might be or how to better diagnose? Thanks!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Sounds like samba is unhappy and timing out. Might be samba, might be network, might be server hardware. Post following:
  • /etc/local/smb4.conf
  • Relevant entries from /var/log/samba4/log.smbd
  • zpool status, zpool list, etc
  • Results if transfer attempted while server and client directly connected to each other with known-good cable.

Last edited:

johnfv

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get the details posted you've requested asap. In the meantime I did one more test with interesting results. I tried copying this same file to my Buffalo Linkstation NAS (XFS) and Windows immediately prompted me saying "Are you sure...the file has properties that can't be copied to the new location". When I answered yes, it copied fine. Then, I had no problem copying the file from the Linkstation to my freeNAS volume. It seems that there are some properties of this one file causing the problem and copying to the Linkstation removed them? As I mentioned I have copied several other similar .avi files with no problems. I do see some "freenas cannot get attribute from ea on file" messages on my console periodically, I don't know if that is related and they don't seem to occur at the same time as my copy attempts.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ahh... Okay.
Avi files can sometimes have subtitles and other data stored as 'NTFS alternate datastreams'. By default, freenas has the 'streams_xattr' vfs object enabled on cifs shares. Unfortunately, maximum size of an xattr is 64kb. The data stored in the alternate datastream associated with the avi probably exceeds that causing samba to barf. Remove that vfs object and you should be golden.

Alternatively, you can run your video files through a program that scrubs the metadata.

CaptainSensible

Dabbler
Most pll use NAS as a windows storage type thing. Create datasets for use in windows.

.avi files are not good. If u cant find that vital avi, bad luck.

CaptainSensible

Dabbler
Most pll use NAS as a windows storage type thing. Create datasets for use in windows.

.avi files are not good. If u cant find that vital avi, bad luck.

johnfv

Cadet
Ahh... Okay.
Avi files can sometimes have subtitles and other data stored as 'NTFS alternate datastreams'. By default, freenas has the 'streams_xattr' vfs object enabled on cifs shares. Unfortunately, maximum size of an xattr is 64kb. The data stored in the alternate datastream associated with the avi probably exceeds that causing samba to barf. Remove that vfs object and you should be golden.

Alternatively, you can run your video files through a program that scrubs the metadata.
I did remove the 'streams_xattr' vfs object from the share but the behavior is still the same with the original file. Any other settings you can suggest? I don't care about whatever the extra metadata is, just want to be able to copy the file to freeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.