MiniDLNA Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris230291

Patron
Alright guys? I'm wondering if someone can help me out here.

- I have installed the jail and MiniDLNA plugins.
- I created a "mount point" so that the MiniDLNA plugin can see the directory where i store all of my media...
Source: /mnt/Raid-Set/Media
Destination: /mnt/Raid-Set/Jail/PluginsJail/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MEDIA
- I then tested that it was working by following the instructions i found in a YouTube video. - It was

I then downloaded an iPhone app called "AirPlayer" (DLNA compatible) and BOOM! I can see my MiniDLNA share ("Media Server"). However i cant see anything inside it? None of my media appears. All i see are the following directories...

Browse Folders
Music
Pictures
Video

None of which are mine. How come i cant see the folders i created with the media that's inside them?

Can anyone please help?

NOTE: There isn't a problem with the iPhone app, XBMC gives the same results.

Cheers,
Chris.

brentaar

Dabbler
Covering some of the basics
  • Did you put a media file directly in the folder and restart miniDLNA (miniDLNA doesn't update its library after startup, from my understanding)?
  • Do you have folders or datasets in the directory?
  • Does the jailed miniDLNA user (dlna in mine) have permission to read the content?
  • While logged into the jail can you list out the media contents?

The available options are (Music, Pictures, and Video seem to be defaults)

Chris230291

Patron
Covering some of the basics
  • Did you put a media file directly in the folder and restart miniDLNA (miniDLNA doesn't update its library after startup, from my understanding)?
  • Do you have folders or datasets in the directory?
  • Does the jailed miniDLNA user (dlna in mine) have permission to read the content?
  • While logged into the jail can you list out the media contents?

The available options are (Music, Pictures, and Video seem to be defaults)

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

My media is in /mnt/Raid-Set/Media and the content is files and folders.
I have toggled the plugin on and off several times already.
How do i check that the jailed miniDLNA user has permission to read the content?
Do you mean logged in via the shell thing? When i did the "TESTfile" thing it also listed the directories that i had created but don't show via DLNA.

Thanks for your help,
Chris.

Chris230291

Patron
I thought i would include this screenshot that shows all of the folders i have created in the source are in the mount points destination (Movies, Music, Pictures and TV Shows) ...

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-09%20at%2015.52.42.png

So I'm confused as to why i cant see them via XBMC etc. I must have missed something or done something wrong?

Chris.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello.
I am not using XBMC... Well i am but i need DLNA for other devices around the house.

Once this is set up i can also use DLNA over 3G on my phone without running any software on other machines e.g. AirVideo. This in turn means only the server is on 24/7 and not any additional machines running special software.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
What is the media directory did you set in MiniDLNA configuration screen?

You can check if it has access accessing the jail (jexec `jls jid` csh), check for the minidlna user

Chris230291

Patron
Under MiniDLNA i have "/mnt/Raid-Set/Jail/PluginsJail/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MEDIA" which is the mount point thing.

Sorry, could you explain how i use those commands? I did something similar when i followed this video and it was all good...

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
This is wrong, under MINIDLNA you should have /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MEDIA.

What version are you using? You should be using 8.3.1-p2

Chris230291

Patron
I also see that i have no IP adress when i do this...

Code:
[root@Server ~]# jls                                                           
  JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path                     
    2  -              PluginsJail                  /mnt/Raid-Set/Jail/PluginsJail        

In the video the guy does have an IP... Could this have anything to do with why it isn't working?

I should probably mention that I'm not too savvy with all of this networking stuff. Everything i've worked out has been form google searches and youtube videos. So please don't assume i know what i'm on about haha.

Cheers,
Chris.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I also see that i have no IP adress when i do this...

Code:
[root@Server ~]# jls                                                         
  JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path                   
    2  -              PluginsJail                  /mnt/Raid-Set/Jail/PluginsJail        

In the video the guy does have an IP... Could this have anything to do with why it isn't working?

I should probably mention that I'm not too savvy with all of this networking stuff. Everything i've worked out has been form google searches and youtube videos. So please don't assume i know what i'm on about haha.

Cheers,
Chris.
There is nothing wrong there, IP is never shown in jls command.

Chris230291

Patron
Ok sorry, i didn't see the reply before i posted again.
Let me update and try again before i go any further. To be honest i thougt it auto updated :rolleyes:

EDIT: My parents are currently using the server so i'll have to update it tomorrow at some point (hopefully!).

Thanks.

Chris230291

Patron
This is wrong, under MINIDLNA you should have /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MEDIA.

What version are you using? You should be using 8.3.1-p2

Ok so now i'm all up to date now and running again.
I did notice some errors on boot (normally don't have a monitor attached), but thats another topic.

So i went into MiniDLNA and i don't seem to be able to choose that path? Unless you missed the first part because you dont know what i named things?

I can choose...

/mnt/Raid-Set/Jail/PluginsJail/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MEDIA

or

/mnt/Raid-Set/Plugins/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MEDIA

Thanks,
Chris.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. Ok so i deleted then reinstalled the plugin and these are my "Media Directory" options...

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-10%20at%2013.05.58.png

If i understood right, the option i need isn't there?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Chris.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
That doesn't sound right at all, where did you download the MiniDLNA plugin? I think you're using the wrong one.

Chris230291

Patron
That doesn't sound right at all, where did you download the MiniDLNA plugin? I think you're using the wrong one.

I got this one... http://sourceforge.net/projects/fre.../plugins/minidlna-1.0.22_3-amd64.pbi/download

I just got it to work by manually typing in "/usr/Media". Seems like something must be wrong somewhere?

Thanks for all of your help though! Wouldn't have tried it if you hadn't of mentioned what it should have been.

Now it's running, how can i configure the folders that pop up when i connect via a DLNA compatible device?
When i select my DLNA service on XBMC etc, i get presented with the following folders...

"Browse Folders"
"Music"
"Pictures"
"Video"

When i go into "Browse Folders" i see my folder structure (ones i created)...

"Movies"
"Music"
"Pictures"
"TV Shows"

Can i make it so it goes straight to them rather than what appears to be a default structure? It seems it wants to manage the media for me, but i want to do it myself if i can.

Thanks for your help,
Chris.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
This is obviously wrong. If you're using FreeNAS 8.3.1 you should be using the plugin from 8.3.1, as I told you.

Status
Not open for further replies.