SOLVED Migrated from HPZ800 to SM 846 : no network connection - init getty repeating too quickly

Kryptonit3

Dabbler
Hello everyone. I recently bought a Supermicro 846 so I can expand my storage. My current config is as follows:

• Motherboard make and model: X9DRI-LN4F+ Supermicro Rev 1.20
  • CPU make and model: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2 (x2)
  • RAM quantity: 40GB (4 8GB, 2 4GB, works fine in HP Z800, all same frequency)
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives - 6x4TB WD RED raid 10 (freenas), 1x4TB WD RED standalone, going to replace a old drive soon, 2 USB drives; 1 primary, 1 mirror for boot
  • Hard disk controllers - HP H220 6Gbs SAS PCI-E 3.0 HBA LSI 9207-8i P20 IT Mode
  • Case - Supermicro 846
  • Network cards - onboard 4 Gbe NICs. I am plugged into igb0 and it says status: active but no inet address working. in the old system it is statically assigned an IP in my networks subnet
The thing is, on my old system I disabled the console menu through the advanced settings so I do not have access to manipulate the options menu. I have also googled around and searched the forum and tried running /etc/netcli and it does nothing and also /usr/libexec/getty freenas and also nothing.

This is the messages I get on ttyv0 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEYdvjoggT4

Here is my preliminary troubleshooting on ttyv1 - I show a long dmesg output too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYiGRZRnXb0

I have also reset the bios and selected 'optimal defaults' as suggested by another thread and still nothing.

I'd appreciate any help with re-enabling the console menu (disabled on old system in advanced menu) or knowing what I need to do to manually do what the console menu network options do automatically.

I couldn't find any options in the bios where the NIC could be enabled/disabled. The jumper on the motherboard to enable GLAN1 is set to enabled. It shows a gigabit uplink to the switch as well. Wasn't previously set to DHCP so cannot check the client list. It is not showing the MAC in the router ARP table either.

IMG_6571.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Jesse Szypulski

Kryptonit3

Dabbler
I ran dhclient igb0 and it polled for an IP and obtained one. Now how do I go about getting the webgui to load?

Kryptonit3

Dabbler
I edited /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf and changed the listen IP from the old static of 172.16.0.5 to the new DHCP obtained one of 172.16.0.148 and then ran service nginx restart and I now have GUI access. Going to reenable console and reboot system to make sure it isn't a fluke and works on reboot back on desired static. Will update.

Kryptonit3

Dabbler
I saw in another post they also say to run service django restart but I didn't have to to get GUI to load. After reboot I had access to console menu. I selected option 1) Configure Network Interfaces selected my interface igb0 and when it asked Delete interface? and I selected yes, it gave me the error of Restarting network: failed so I googled around and found you should chose no and then set it to DHCP or static that way. Now it works perfectly. Issue resolved. Thanks!

Jessep

Patron
Good work, IT isn't about never making a mistake, it's about being able to fix the mistakes when they happen.