SOLVED FreeNAS init: getty repeating too quickly (after config upload)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryo

Cadet
My 50 cents. Hope it helps someone someday.
I am no way pro so this is a lame but working workaround.

After migration to new hardware I prepared a new stick with 9.10.2 and it worked flawless,
However after config upload I've got into menu loop with
freenas init: getty repeating too quickly
Network interfaces unresponsive and so on. No access to system at all.
I've tried to find solution but found nothing useful online. Long story short - that was a network_interface in config file. (config_old.db)
Previous setup had static IP at nfe0 and new hardware had a single interface named ra0. Looks like FreeNAS doesnt like such conflicts.
To fix it
1. reinstall fresh build (9.10.2 in my case) from ISO.
2. configure static IP as necessary
3. download config db via webui (config_new)
4. open config_new.db with any sql editor
5. locate network_interface table and copy data string
6. open config_old.db
7. locate network_interface table and replace data string. commit changes.
8. upload updated config.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Might be worth creating a feature request asking the config reload to verify that configured NICs actually exist and to not load the config of those that do not. If you decide to create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org, post the issue number here.

eqartimus

Explorer
I updated my system and go the same above issue. I restarted a couple of times and same result. I was able to restart from previous version and am certain I don't have an idea of how to do what you are suggesting above. I suppose I will just stick with an old version.

Kryo

Cadet
I updated my system and go the same above issue. I restarted a couple of times and same result. I was able to restart from previous version and am certain I don't have an idea of how to do what you are suggesting above. I suppose I will just stick with an old version.

i had migration issue. completely new hw. looks like there is a number of issues resulting in this loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.