Fresh Install hangs during init with "getty repeating..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Longo

Dabbler
I am working with a fresh install of FreeNAS 9.3 Stable. I used the CD to install on a 16GB USB drive and can run the first time off the USB. I can connect to the NAS through the web gui and through initial setups. Once I reboot for the first time I continuously get stuck.

Last error is "freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs". Error just prior is "Keyerror: 'getpwuid(): uid not found: 0'. This gets into an infinite loop. The machine is not accessible at the console or network.

I'm not sure what is causing this. I have reinstalled a couple times now. Regenerated the USB image even. The first time through I did a lot of configuration before a reboot. i have now done 4 cycles trying different things but have not configured anything other than the initial wizard.

System setup
running off 16gb USB
1 500 GB drive <- desire is basic volume but right now FreeNAS doesn't recognize it (next problem to solve)
2 x 1TB drives <- intent is mirrored
only have a USB keyboard connected and VGA display
2GB Memory (for now, wanted to play with FreeNAS first)

Although I have seen references to the "getty repeating..." I haven't found my issue, especially as part of the init sequence.

additional update: I did another "run for the first time" and it started fine. This time I did nothing else just rebooted and I'm still getting the error.

very desperate for some help

Last edited:

Fraoch

Patron
Anything less than the recommended 8 GB minimum memory may result in odd behaviour...

Nick Longo

Dabbler
I understand. I installed to the 500gb HD to test and it's working from there. Looking to play and learn FreeNAS prior to investing in either all new HW or upgrading the old HW I'm using.

Fraoch

Patron
OK, hope you do learn something!:)

But keep in mind any errors you experience may be due to low RAM. ZFS really really really likes lots of RAM and gets cranky if it doesn't have enough. And ZFS isn't even involved at this stage yet.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have to echo what Fraoch is saying. FreeNAS actually malfunctions and has serious problems with less than 8GB of RAM. So while you might sit here and tell is that its working, we've got about 50 users that will disagree with you. You will have problems with the OS. It is unreliable, unstable, and has lots of errors that don't exist because the python code that runs behind the scenes and does what you command from the WebGUI errors out and crashes because of insufficient RAM. Pretty much nobody here will even give you 2 seconds of thought without 8GB of RAM.

mr_wilson

Cadet
Hey everyone,

it should not be RAM in my case, but the same issue - or one with very similar symptoms at least - is adding to my grey hair.
> "freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs"
This endless loop is visible and a previously working network configuration was either reset or is not loaded, in any case there is no access via the web interface

I have noticed the issue coming up with reboots after doing these things:
- Importing a backup config via web interface
- Faulty installation of a plex plugin (does not seem to work right with FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 or FreeNAS-9.3-RELEASE)
- GUI-Upgrading from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 to FreeNAS-9.3-Nightlies-201502020400
=> Did that with Firefox, which unfortunately got stuck at 63%. Therefore I finished it via installer/console.

Now I have 5 re-installs behind me and with my recent installation of FreeNAS-9.3-Nightlies-201502020400 the issue still comes up.
The first boot worked fine, after that I tried importing my config -> reboot -> error from above

Here are the specs:
- HP Proliant Microserver Gen8
- 2x 3TB SATA drives (no RAID, etc. required)
- 8 GB DDR3 additional RAM, totaling at 10GB
- 16 GB USB drive to boot from

PS: It may be worth mentioning that I am accessing the system via iLo and not via VGA / connected monitor.
PPS: I have read about this issue coming up in correlation with language settings. I also set the keyboard layout to German and the language set to German ISO in the web interface. Dunno if that might be the root cause...

Does anyone have ideas on how I could
a) fix this without re-installing?
b) avoid the issue in the future?

Help would be very much appreciated!

Greetings,
Wilson

I am having a similar issue and receiving the same error. I should add that while I am a newbie to FreeNAS I did take the time to read Cyberjock's noob guide as well as the manuals and more forum posts than I want to think about before I got started. I should also add that I know my configuration is not ideal for freeNAS (e.g. no ECC ram) but it was bought for a hackintosh build that turned into a fiasco (long story not relevant here). Short version: I went to a freeNAS build based on a friend's recommendation as a plan B. After about 100 hours and several weekends I had a stable build working until the power went out yesterday. It is hooked up to a UPS but it must have been too long for the battery as both this and the old server it is replacing (MS Home Server) were both off when I got home.

Basic configuration:
MSI Z87-GD65 MOBO
Intel Pentium G3450 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 53W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646G3450
Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (x4)
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
freeNAS 9.3 running on 16GB Toshiba Flash Drive set up as ZFS2
Plugins so far: OwnCloud, Couch Potato, PLEX (I only used OwnCloud to date)

Problem: When I reboot the machine I get what is shown in the attached image file. I cannot get in through the GUI nor can I get to the shell. In fact, I can't get to any of the 12 menu options shown. I can do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot which is unhelpful.

The good news: I may be a newb at freeNAS but I have been using computers for a long time and trust them not at all. I loaded a lot of data onto this server but nothing I don't have backed up elsewhere. If I need to start over, I lose nothing but time and the CO2 it will require to expel curse words.

My ask: Any help would be appreciated. Please consider my knowledge level in your response. I cannot recode Python scripts without detailed guidance (or any other such esoteric actions) but I can use a command line (if I can get to it somehow).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3454.JPG
    IMG_3454.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 253

Jim Judd

Cadet
I know this thread is two years old, but I'm having the exact same issue on my 9.10 server. I did a fresh install a few days ago and just now tried to perform an update to the latest 9.10 stable release. After clicking update and reboot from the GUI, the server is stuck in the same "getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs". Error just prior is "Keyerror: 'getpwuid(): uid not found: 0' messages.

System setup
running off 2 160GB mirror disks
2 x 8TB drive mirrored volume
16GB Memory

EDIT: I think the issue is that I used some older HDD for boot disks and I'm seeing errors on them, so I'm going to reinstall to a 16GB usb stick and try from there. I'm also switch from Carrol to 9.10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.