Freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaaphod

Contributor
I just recently set up a new install of Freenas 9.10 stable on a new system with blank hard drives. everything seemed to be working normally, I made some users and some shares, and transferred one directory of data to a share, everything seemed to be normal. The transfer completed successfully. While Freenas was completely idle, I had a power failure, freenas is on a UPS so I shut it down normally from the GUI and shutdown completed normally with plenty of time left on the UPS. When power was restored, I started up Freenas, and went to transfer another directory to it. I was able to browse and see my existing data on my network share, however when I went to start the transfer, I got a message Access Denied. This was strange because I was on the same computer with the same login and everything was working fine before. I tried to get into the GUI to check my permissions, but could not get into the GUI, it was as if the IP address does not exist, however my network shares were still showing and still able to be read, but not written to. I am able to ping the Freenas IP address successfully, but no GUI. So I looked at the console screen through IMPI and it is showing the normal menu, but under the menu it shows
Apr 10 10:38:40 Freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs
Apr 10 10:38:40 Freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs

yes it shows it twice, then after 30 seconds, the screen scrolls, like someone hit enter about 5 times, then the display goes back to the menu with the two errors. I cannot perform any action with the menu and it never shows the IP addresses which freenas can be accessed from.

I do not know where to go from here. I am able to log in with SSH, so I did reboot from SSH but when it came up it just immediately starts with these errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please note that I am not very familiar with Linux at all so if I need to do something with it please be specific about what I should type or I will just be lost.

toquickly.PNG

D

dlavigne

It's worth installing 9.10 on another USB stick to see if it's the stick causing the issue. Save your config first.

Zaaphod

Contributor
Can you tell me how to save my config without using the console or GUI ? since I can't use either

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you just use a new USB your config will still be on the old USB so you can always go back and get it.

Zaaphod

Contributor
Ok, I have it installed on a new USB drive, so far it's acting normally. how do I transfer my config from the old usb to the new one?

Zaaphod

Contributor
I still can't write to my disks, I am on the newly installed USB drive, I don't know how to transfer my config from the other usb, so I just imported my disks and re-created a few users, but I still cannot write to the disks, I can read from them but I get access denied whenever I tried to write. I reset the permissions and they are correct, but still I get access denied.

The config data should be located at /data/freenas-v1.db

You should be able to copy it from the old usb drive to a computer and then use the "Upload config" button under the system/general tab in the GUI.

Stephen Hayne

Dabbler
It's worth installing 9.10 on another USB stick to see if it's the stick causing the issue. Save your config first.
I'm getting the same problem on a FRESH install of 9.10 (latest) on a SuperMicro 4U system I am converting from Nextena. Brand new SSDs for boot drive, and all blank disks... system is a duplicate of another SuperMicro 4U running 9.10 perfectly.

Can't get to the system to touch the GUI or SSH because I don't know the IP... thots? Tried disconnecting the keyboard (USB). This is the IPMI screencap:

upload_2016-6-17_11-50-42.png

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm getting the same problem on a FRESH install of 9.10 (latest) on a SuperMicro 4U system I am converting from Nextena. Brand new SSDs for boot drive, and all blank disks... system is a duplicate of another SuperMicro 4U running 9.10 perfectly.

Can't get to the system to touch the GUI or SSH because I don't know the IP... thots? Tried disconnecting the keyboard (USB). This is the IPMI screencap:

View attachment 12226

Try a non-latest copy of 9.10 and see what happens? That looks like there's some screwup with the management shell crashing, possibly when it's trying to figure out what URL's to tell you to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.