SOLVED LACP and IPMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroji

Contributor
I am running on a ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 board and there is a dedicated BMC/IPMI port and 4 Intel LAN ports. However, I noticed that IPMI always seems to grab 2 IPs and showing there are 2 NICs associated. When I tried to configure LACP in FreeNAS, after adding all 4 Intel LAN NICs, it would kill my IPMI connection. I ended up having to reboot the server just to access the IPMI again, and what I saw was both NICs in IPMI also became bonded. Not quite sure why this is, but I did read somewhere that often LAN1 also has a channel that is allocated for IPMI. Can anyone advise on what is the best series of steps to get LACP working on all 4 LAN ports?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There should be an option in IPMI settings to not share the LAN ports with IPMI. It appears there is a dedicated IPMI port

eroji

Contributor
I did not see that option. Only the 2 NICs in BIOS. I'll take a screenshot when I get home.

eroji

Contributor
Will try and check. As I recall, it has the option to enable or disable eth0 or eth1 and nothing else. Similar to BIOS settings.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At least on Supermicro X10s, the options are shared or fallback. No true dedicated option.

eroji

Contributor
I think I found the port that it's piggybacking off. I turned off IPMI on it for now. Will try the LACP configuration again later.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
May I ask how many clients you have that you feel LACP would benefit you?

eroji

Contributor
It's actually for homelab use. The number of users is under 10 but there will be a good amount of copying stuff back and forth of large files and since the board came with 4 NICs, it shouldn't hurt to turn it on.

eroji

Contributor
You are right, I just realized I should be asking about static LAG instead. My bad.

eroji

Contributor
Yes that I do know. It's purely for concurrent throughput for multiple users/connections.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes that I do know. It's purely for concurrent throughput for multiple users/connections.
Yes, but also if your network switch doesn't implement it very well it will create a whole host of new problems. :P

j_r0dd

Contributor
Just a heads up, the dedicated interface is labeled eth1 in Megarac gui. Leave that one alone. Don't ask....

eroji

Contributor
Yea I figured that out by pulling the cables one by one. If only the ordering of the ports and names made some sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.