IPMI failover on X9SCM-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguellee

Dabbler
Hi

The IPMI if function ok on the dedicated lan port. but i unplugged the IPMI cable, it is not failover to LAN1 on X9SCM-F, while LAN1 is also used by esxi.

Is it possible to share the LAN1 for both IPMI and ESXI ?

My BMC setting shown in the IPMIView as below.

IPMIView BMC Setting.png

ipmicfg in my esxi to confirm that the lan mode is failover.
IPMICFG_LAN_MODE.png

ipmi revision: 2.0

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The IPMI if function ok on the dedicated lan port. but i unplugged the IPMI cable, it is not failover to LAN1 on X9SCM-F, while LAN1 is also used by esxi.
It will only work on the port closest to the IPMI dedicated port. Which port are you calling, "LAN1"???
Is it possible to share the LAN1 for both IPMI and ESXI
The installed operating system is totally irrelevant to the operation of IPMI.

Inxsible

Guru
I have a X9SCL-F which is similar to yours. Try the port that is directly above the IPMI port instead of using LAN1. On my board, the one above the USB ports is LAN1 and the two LAN ports directly above each other are LAN2 on top and IPMI on the bottom.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The port closest to the VGA port is the one that works for me.
f65f2dde314cc25eb0740ae943e51aa2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

miguellee

Dabbler
I am not able to failover to the port which is closest to the VGA port.

When I unplugged the dedicated ipmi cable, the ipmi view is not able to find out any IP working in the lan.
The port closest to the VGA port is the one that works for me.
f65f2dde314cc25eb0740ae943e51aa2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

miguellee

Dabbler
I have a X9SCL-F which is similar to yours. Try the port that is directly above the IPMI port instead of using LAN1. On my board, the one above the USB ports is LAN1 and the two LAN ports directly above each other are LAN2 on top and IPMI on the bottom.

Thanks inxsible

according to the manual: MNL-1270.pdf

I cannot failover from 3.IPMI Dedicated LAN to 1. LAN1.

Thanks!

upload_2018-5-30_9-16-5.png

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In this instance, I don't think "fail-over" means what you think it means. If there is no network connection on the port you have labeled 3, when the unit is energized, it will attempt an IPMI connection on the port you have labeled 1. It will not switch from one to the other while the system is working.

Last edited:

RegularJoe

Patron
IPMI is tricky, on the Apple MacServer3,1 it is shared IMPI and network and it causes things to be unstable in VMware, so much that some people say the onboard NICs are cursed and just us an add in card.

In the Enterprise IMPI is a huge security vulnerability that many companies to not partition off the production network and they reap what they sow. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.