SOLVED Change physical LAN interface

mgd

Dabbler
I am running FreeNAS on an ASRock Rack C2550D4I motherboard which has three Ethernet ports:
  • Dedicated IPMI / BMC port
  • LAN1 – shared between BMC and the Intel controller seen by FreeNAS
  • LAN2 – dedicated to the Intel controller seen by FreeNAS
Originally, I configured my FreeNAS installation to use the LAN1 interface which is known as igb0 by FreeNAS. However, I am a little paranoid and would like to use the LAN2 interface instead.

My plan was to add LAN2 (igb1) to the FreeNAS network configuration on the same subnet as LAN1, then move the physical network cable to LAN2, and finally delete LAN1 from the FreeNAS configuration.

However, from the FreeNAS GUI I cannot setup the LAN2 interface on the same IP subnet as LAN1, and if I delete LAN1 before adding LAN2 I have no connection to the FreeNAS GUI.

Any idea how to accomplish my network LAN interface switch?

Did you try it on the physical console to change the IP address from igb0 to igb1?

[Edit] Chose option 1 on the physical console and then select the interface you would like to use (e.g., igb1)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,063
Last edited:

mgd

Dabbler
I just tried changing the interface to igb1 (running /etc/netcli from the physical console) and switching the cable over but no luck. I also tried to reboot, and I can see that dhclient is only trying to acquire an IP address for igb0.

When running ifconfig after reboot, I can see the cable is plugged to the correct port but no IP address is assigned:

Code:
igb0: flags=8c02<BROADCAST,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
    media: Ethernet autoselect
igb1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
    media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

Ok, so I tried to run /etc/netcli again. This time I first selected option 1) Configure Network Interfaces and then chose igb0. This gave me the option to delete the config for that interface to which I replied "yes, please". After that I selected option 1) Configure Network Interfaces again and this time selected interface igb1.

Still there was no IP address for interface igb1. So now I ran dhclient igb1 and then I had an IP address for igb1.

Now, I can log in to the web console.

Looking at the “Network > Interfaces” there are no longer any interfaces configured (good), so now I can add the igb1 interface, set it to DHCP and IPv6 Auto Configure.

Now, I will try a reboot and see if it persists.

Edit:
After reboot the system is working fine and using the igb1 interface. :)

Last edited:
Glad it worked. That old IT fix - When in doubt, reboot! :)

Last edited: