Would this hardware work?

VladTepes

Patron
The motherboard is an Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 -
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EP2C602-4L/D16

128 gig quad ecc ram, dual intel xeon e5-2670 so 8 cores and 16 threads each (the motherboard can take most e5 v1 and v2 cpu's).
(The board can also be run on a single i7 cpu if necessary)
it has 4 onboard 1 gig nics which can be teamed + an additional dedicated ipmi port to make 5 1 gig nics.
Has onboard graphics as well Output- Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz.

Davvo

MVP
It should work (altough you did not specify your purpose).
Just note that: the e5-2670v2 is supported only by BIOS version P1.20 and subsequent; it requires DDR3 memory.
Intel NICs so OK. BMC controller is a ASPEED AST2300, but the IPMI NIC is Realtek... this could be better.

Last edited:

VladTepes

Patron
Note entirely sure whay you mean by purpose...

TrueNAS core or scale.
Media streaming (movies, audio)
file back up (obviously)
some VMs but prob not many

Basically as per another thread i posted my supermicro mobo toasted itself and Im looking at alternatives

Davvo

MVP

TrueNAS core or scale.
Media streaming (movies, audio)
file back up (obviously)
some VMs but prob not many

Basically as per another thread i posted my supermicro mobo toasted itself and Im looking at alternatives
Exactly this.
The mobo might be overkill. If it's for the system in your signature, it really is.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

What you plan to do with it.

file back up (obviously)

How exactly is that obvious? I have lots of FreeNAS systems that have no backup files on them.

If you want people to understand this sort of context, it would be helpful to post links to that information, or at least mention it in your initial post. This can save a lot of back and forth. Additionally, lots of users here tend to skip messages where there is a lack of clarity about what is being asked. Help us help you by making it as easy as possible to quickly understand your question.

VladTepes

Patron
@jgreco I assumed that all NAS were used for backup (among other things). Learn something every day :)

If you want people to understand this sort of context, it would be helpful to post links to that information, or at least mention it in your initial post. This can save a lot of back and forth. Additionally, lots of users here tend to skip messages where there is a lack of clarity about what is being asked. Help us help you by making it as easy as possible to quickly understand your question.
A very good point and just me being lazy, sorry :)

The mobo might be overkill. If it's for the system in your signature, it really is.
@Davvo Yeah I figured it would be. It will all depend what price the fella wants for it. Might still be cheaper and easier than trying to find a new supermicro mobo.

I just wanted to be sure there are no "that's a terrible idea" issues with it :)

Thanks all.

Davvo

MVP
Well... You should really look into that DDR3 ecc RAM as I don't know the price or the availablity.
Consider buying a mobo compatible with your current hardware (CPU, RAM, case).

Anyway, I don't see any glaring issues.

VladTepes

Patron
The RAM is included in whatever price he's asking (yet to be determined) so not something I'll have to find.

Having said that, if you have any suggestions for a suitable mobo that is compatible my current hardware, I would be extremely grateful.

Current hardware
Intel Core i3-6100
2*16Gb Samsung ECC DDR4 2133MHz
and I have an ATX case available.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I assumed that all NAS were used for backup (among other things). Learn something every day :)

There's a lot of uses that are only for primary storage. Backup storage tends to be a specialized use case, and you may actually want that to be on a dedicated system with a specific kind of pool design like "RAIDZ3 with daily snapshots", which plays to some of the strengths of ZFS.

A very good point and just me being lazy, sorry :)

It's okay, but please remember that your messages generally only get either zero or one shot at the eyeballs of other community members. I remind you to make the most of it so that you have the best chance at the most productive outcome.

VladTepes

Patron
OK well to clarify the guy is offering me:
1 x Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16
128GB quad ecc ram (plus a couple of 'spare sticks')
2 x intel xeon e5-2670 CPUs
2 x antec cpu coolers
for AUD$300. Seems like a good deal?

The mobo is an SSI EEB (I guess that makes it an E-ATX equivalent).
Specifically the dimensions are: 12'' x 13'' (305 mm x 330 mm) so basically a full size E-ATX.

I'll need to ensure it will fit in the case I have, obviously.

VladTepes

Patron
Ok well I bought the above system - pretty sure it'll be fine.

and was MUCH cheaper than any alternate / replacement supermicro board I could find for my existing set up.

I've got the mobo, cpus, cpu coolers, ram, 6xHDD and 1xSSD all in the case now.
Tomorrows job hook up the SATA cables.
Then in a couple of days when my Corsair RMx850 PSU arrives - whack that in and hook up the various power cables.

Then kick it over, whilst crossing fingers.

Davvo

MVP
Make sure to properly burn-in the system, you can find a few resources about it and lots of other threads in the forum.

VladTepes

Patron
The system?
The drives themselves are existing carried over from old system, with data on them etc.

Davvo

MVP

VladTepes

Patron
OK well this is the first time I've ever come across this concept with a system (as opposed to the drives)
A search mostly throws up stuff about drives, but I did find this thread:

I should note that the system I have purchased has already been in use as a server (albeit not TrueNAS) so the RAM, mobo, CPU etc are all established as working properly.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
OK well this is the first time I've ever come across this concept with a system (as opposed to the drives)

Yeah, most DIY'ers, whether NAS'ers or gamers or whatever, are so anxious to try out their brand new system that they just throw it all together on the kitchen table and then try loading up whatever on it. However, it is a fairly standard practice in the industry. Your Dell or HP PC goes through a burn-in process, for example.

A search mostly throws up stuff about drives,

Resources -> Hardware -> Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS System

VladTepes

Patron
OK so I assume that will have already been done by the previous owner when he had it as his server - he's a pretty switched on guy.
The only difference in the system is a new PSU - a Corsair RM850x - and I'm very happy to trust that.

NugentS

MVP
Never ever believe 100% what a supplier is telling you.
Trust, but verify. So burn in that system with several days of CPU, Motherboard and Memory tests which will also test the PSU and only then (if it passes) believe the supplier.

VladTepes

Patron
None of the noted SYSTEM burn in tests In the thread linked above by @jgreco will delete existing data on the HDD's will they?

Fleshmauler

Explorer
If you're carrying drives in from an old system like you've stated & you've previously confirmed them working without any issues, then I'd argue you've done the equivilant of a burn in on the hdds.

You can just skip the burn in on your confirmed working drives & follow the rest of the steps.

If you're VERY concerned about your data, you can keep them disconnected from the system while you test everything else & just have a boot drive connected.