Jumping into the SOHO NAS world...

Status
Not open for further replies.

19norant

Dabbler
Just joined the forum as I've been researching a bit lately and am just waiting for my parts to arrive before I build my NAS leading into the holidays.

Software engineer by day, random technology tinkerer by night. I've been running a Plex Media Server for friends & family over the last couple years and my JBOD storage was running low and having stability problems. So here I am...

I'll likely use the NAS for additional needs, but I'll get into that over in the questions/help forum.

Just wanted to say hi.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to FreeNAS Forums. As you probably noticed, we have a lot of people running Plex here and large storage capacities. All I can do is caution you as to reading the forum rules, reading the hardware guides, and purchasing the proper hardware to make your system work without issue. It's not rocket science thankfully. And if you have a question, try to use Google first and if you can't find the answer, post a question. We will be more than happy to lend a helping hand.

Before you design your new system you should have an idea for the following:
1) Desired storage capacity for the next 3 to 5 years, now double it.
2) What you are planning to use FreeNAS for. This is to help choose the proper CPU type, RAM quantity, and pool design.

Hope your visits here are enjoyable.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.