Hello NAS World!!!

JackTheLad

Cadet
Hello to everybody, I'm Alessandro from Italy. I'm not at all an expert about NAS systems as I started to learn about it only since I joined the Cubbit team not long ago, but I love technology and I'm becoming more and more passionate about storage solutions, especially as my awareness of privacy and security matters about data is growing since today's world is basically built on them. I'm also particularly sensible to the matter of entrusting private files to a third party that could misuse them, even more if it's a corporation that has already a big presence in everyday people's life. I think that some NAS users can identify themselves in this point of view, as other than the fact that you're free from monthly fees this could be another big reason that could lead you to prefer a NAS instead of a cloud service. I've always been a supporter of solutions that empower people and give them back control over their life, so when I heard of Cubbit and what they were trying to achieve I gladly joined forces to help them Kickstarting the project. I don't want to turn my presentation post in an advertisement one as I'm here to learn, not to market a product. Luckily JoshDW19 was kind enough to grant me permission to open a topic where I can talk a bit about Cubbit as I'm really curious to hear some experts' opinions, feedbacks and ideas on the project. I really think that this is the right place to talk about it as I just recently learnt of FreeNAS and I believe there are some common ideals behind both projects. Thank you for accepting me and I hope to broaden my vision on this interesting branch of technology staying here.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Want to comment and compare on how this relates to other projects such as IPFS, Swarm, Storage@home, OFFsystem, and other similar projects that have tried similar things? With particular interest in how you deal with the impermanence of volunteer nodes and stuff like that.

JackTheLad

Cadet